Vortex PST

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigjoe.45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone have any first hand experience with one of these? The reviews are very good and the price compaired to Mark IV's seem like a bargain but I have not "Put hands" on one and wanted some real world feedback prior to spending a wad of cash. Thanks for looking and and help.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned 4 so far (still own 2). And they are the best bang for your buck. I've owned Nightforce scopes over $2k and a SS around the $1,500 mark. They are both gone (couldn't justify that amount of $$ for my needs) and I still have the PST's.

They are packed with great features (FFP, zero stop, illuminated reticle) and offer the best warranty I have ever seen. You won't be disappointed.

Bigjoe.45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
jakerz, that is just the type of real world feedback I needed. You hit the nail on the head for me so I will get one comming!

Thank you very much.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
jakerz, that is just the type of real world feedback I needed. You hit the nail on the head for me so I will get one comming!

Thank you very much.

Anytime. Of course, this is my opinion and I'm sure there will be people that agree and disagree with it. Just letting you know my personal experience. Good luck!

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one on my .308 and just like jakerz, I love it. If ever want to meet at the range sometime to check it out, let me know.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In current 2nd Focal Plane models, at what magnification is the reticle "true/accurate" for measuring?

I like that night force puts this at their max magnification setting, but I hate when manufacturers put it at like 10x on a scope that goes up to 24x.

Bigjoe.45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one on my .308 and just like jakerz, I love it. If ever want to meet at the range sometime to check it out, let me know.

Very awesome offer! This is why I came here first. It is nice to have real world people on this forum and just what makes the shooting community great!

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In current 2nd Focal Plane models, at what magnification is the reticle "true/accurate" for measuring?

I like that night force puts this at their max magnification setting, but I hate when manufacturers put it at like 10x on a scope that goes up to 24x.

They are subtended at max magnification. There are also reticle multipliers on the magnification settings around the zoom ring that you can use with the subtensions.

Example: there is a 2x on the number 8 (8 is the magnification setting) on a 4-16x scope. You would take the reticle subtension and multiply times 2 in this case and it would give you accurate holds at that magnification setting. So, a target size of 2 mils at 100 yards on magnification setting 8 would actually be 4 mils. You can verify this by fully zooming in to 16x to the target.

It's a pretty slick setup. I still prefer FFP, but I like what they did with their SFP models.

On the same 4-16x scope, you will have the following on your zoom ring:

magnification - multiplier
16x - 1x
8x - 2x
5.3x - 3x
4x - 4x

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are subtended at max magnification. There are also reticle multipliers on the magnification settings around the zoom ring that you can use with the subtensions.

Example: there is a 2x on the number 8 (8 is the magnification setting) on a 4-16x scope. You would take the reticle subtension and multiply times 2 in this case and it would give you accurate holds at that magnification setting. So, a target size of 2 mils at 100 yards on magnification setting 8 would actually be 4 mils. You can verify this by fully zooming in to 16x to the target.

It's a pretty slick setup. I still prefer FFP, but I like what they did with their SFP models.

On the same 4-16x scope, you will have the following on your zoom ring:

magnification - multiplier
16x - 1x
8x - 2x
5.3x - 3x
4x - 4x

That's good to know. I hate when it's at 10x on like an 18x or 24x optic. I can do easy double or triple math, but having to adjust the optic down or do more complex math just for adjustments/measurements/range-finding is a pain (especially when your reticle is mil, but the adjustments are MOA).

My next optic is definitely going to be MOA/MOA and it's definitely either going to be FFP or subtended at max magnification.

Latest posts

Top Bottom