Wabbit invasion.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A few less than normal this year. We normally get a few of nest a year in our back yard. This year only one and the wife's dog ate those babies. The dog is a beagle, basset, wiener dog mix. Wild life is not safe in our yard.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes most I've seen in 20y probably. Can't drive 100y without seeing a handful. Looking forward to rabbit season actually this year. Most jack rabbits I've seen in years too.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rabbits - and every other animal on the bottom of the food chain - experience a population cycle.

Lots of rabbits - the predators move in and clean them out. Once the rabbits are thinned out, the predators go hunt somewhere else.

Once the predator population is down, the rabbits repopulate.

I had feral cats here for a year or so, never saw a rabbit or squirrel. Several of the feral cats (that breed like....well...rabbits) died from copper-plated lead poisoning. The rabbits and squirrels came back.

The cats, not so much.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have a rabbit that comes to our backyard in the morning and evening. Our dog will chase it away if we let her out.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had boom of cottontails this year also. On the mornings I don't leave before daylight, which is few, there seems to be a half dozen running around. The other evening got home about 6pm there was one in the yard and seen two enjoying the shade under my farm truck. I think I helped them out last year creating brush piles after taking out some dying trees. Was gonna burn them but fire danger was to high so I just left them for now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom