Warren Theater in Moore recently posted no guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bchandler02

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did finally get a response from Dan @ Warren - he stated that the signs are a reaction to open carry. They have no issue with concealed, just open. They did say they would be willing to replace the signs with new signs that only ban open carry if such signs were approved under the state law.

I think this brings up an interesting point - If a business posts a standard sign but immediately under it says "except licensed concealed carry", would that hold up in a court of law? I could be mistaken, but I think Mustang Gun & Pawn does something similar on their front door.

Personally, I do think the state needs to give a sign option that blocks ALL, and one that blocks only open carry. I think a business has the right to make that choice if they want, and it would allow this community to continue to carry in places that would otherwise ban it completely because of OC.

Maverick7340

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A sign only stops OC because concealed is concealed. They also have a sign that says no outside food. That doesn't stop people from pulling out their candy when the lights go out.

We don't need the state to start regulating signs because it won't end up in our favor. A gunbuster sign IS the no OC sign. It doesn't need to say what is and isn't allowed. If there is a sign you have every right to conceal carry.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In texas don't carry past a 30.06 sign. We don't need that BS here.

i306.photobucket.com_albums_nn269_dustingaunder_Guns_20and_20Related_1f4ac299.jpg

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did finally get a response from Dan @ Warren - he stated that the signs are a reaction to open carry. They have no issue with concealed, just open. They did say they would be willing to replace the signs with new signs that only ban open carry if such signs were approved under the state law.

I think this brings up an interesting point - If a business posts a standard sign but immediately under it says "except licensed concealed carry", would that hold up in a court of law? I could be mistaken, but I think Mustang Gun & Pawn does something similar on their front door.

Personally, I do think the state needs to give a sign option that blocks ALL, and one that blocks only open carry. I think a business has the right to make that choice if they want, and it would allow this community to continue to carry in places that would otherwise ban it completely because of OC.

The state of Oklahoma does not regulate the signage requirement. It simply states the state will not overstep the rights of a private business and force them to allow weapons onto their property. The business owner can create and place any signs they want on their doors. If you PM me Dan's email address I will be happy to contact him in regards to this matter.

bchandler02

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The state of Oklahoma does not regulate the signage requirement. It simply states the state will not overstep the rights of a private business and force them to allow weapons onto their property. The business owner can create and place any signs they want on their doors. If you PM me Dan's email address I will be happy to contact him in regards to this matter.

That's my point. I am not necessarily saying the state should regulate it like TX does. However, I think a business should have the choice of totally unrestricted (not posted), concealed only (posted with exception for licensed/concealed), or full ban (posted with neither OC or concealed allowed). The big question is let's say that Warren took their current signs (standard gun with circle/line through them) and added "except licensed concealed carry" - would this be considered legal by the state? Would it hold up in a court if someone concealed and got caught for whatever reason?

Will send PM with his email.

Maverick7340

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Also add to this that the state makes it very clear where you can not carry so the signs are meaningless unless you make it known you are carrying a gun. Then if it is known they can ask you to leave.

Most businesses want a "don't ask, don't tell" situation. That is why you are seeing more signs going up after the OC bill passed. They really aren't asking you not to carry, they are just asking you not to show them you are. That's the Warren theater's stance.

A lot of people get all worked up if a business puts up a sign and demand them to take it down. If not they will go somewhere else. Yet we know the sign means nothing and can't legally be enforced.

CC and enjoy your movie. OC at a crowded, dark theater isn't a very good idea anyway and we shouldn't be encouraging people to do so. The sign is in the OC best interest. It's not a "rights" thing, it's a strategic thing for the safety of the person carrying and everyone around them.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The State of Oklahoma does not license, endorse or sell any particular design of gun buster signs. It is all left up to the individual businesses. The signs you see in businesses are sold on the open market for profit.. and are usually simply copied from signs used in other states... made for mass production value. Oklahoma businesses are free to put up any self designed sign they want to concernng the open or concealed carry of weapons on their property.. it can be scrawled on a piece of cardboard with a crayon if they want to!

At one time, Outdoor America had a commercial gun buster sign on its doors preventing all weapons.. with a written notation below excepting LEO's and those with a valid concealed carry permit.

Under the new law.. all the theaters need to do is post a simple Gun Buster sign.. then if someone is conceal carrying and their weapon is discovered.. ask the person to leave.. the person goes out, reconceals the weapon and then returns if permited to do so. No big deal. A big guy like me would not be able to OWB carry in a theater anyway.. the seats aren't wide enough as it is. Almost as uncomfortable as airplane seats.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where is this misconception that the sign can't be enforced coming from? It can be enforced it's called trespassing and there is no duty to inform you of such since the sign is the warning. Got a gun don't enter.

If they wished to remain CCW friendly after the passage of 1733 all they needed was signage stating no visible firearms.

And personally any place that is afraid of offending the sheeple by allowing open carry isn't much better than a place that just all doesn't want any guns on their premises. Actually maybe worse because to me it smacks of hypocrisy to a certain degree.

I'll continue to protest with my wallet. :)

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After starting a conversation with a gentleman named Dan with Warren, it seems they will be looking into replacing their "No Guns" signs with "No open carry of firearms" signs. No idea when or if this will happen, but will keep you posted as I have asked to be let in on when this happens. They may also at some point in the future remove the signs altogether again to allow open carry as well.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CC and enjoy your movie. OC at a crowded, dark theater isn't a very good idea anyway and we shouldn't be encouraging people to do so. The sign is in the OC best interest. It's not a "rights" thing, it's a strategic thing for the safety of the person carrying and everyone around them.

I don't see anywhere where anyone is encouraging anyone carry in any particular way. The only thing being encouraged is to carry however you feel the most comfortable.

I also don't see how a "No Gun" sign is in the best interest of anyone who chooses to carry, or how it's a safety thing for the person carrying.

Unless you see the "No Gun" sign as something that means, "Keep it concealed and don't use it". Stand your ground may fail you if you use a firearm inside a place that is posted.

Latest posts

Top Bottom