Warren Theater in Moore recently posted no guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sent my e-mail (7/2) and got an e-mail back from the owner Bill Warren ([email protected]) asking to speak with me personally. Will follow up when he calls me back.

Got a call from Bill Warren this morning. We talked a little bit about why the signs were posted, his thoughts on concealed carry and public safety. He stated that safety was his number one concern and that he wasn't trying to inhibit anyone's rights. The signs..as others have said in this thread, are in reaction to the Open Carry Law. He is fine with conceal carry, as he has a conceal carry license himself. He spoke very candidly about how how he has talked with his security personnel and how they don't need the extra worry of a wild west open carry person (read:show-off) coming into his theaters without a badge and causing concern among patrons and security personnel. Now I agree that the person who is open carrying that is legal and able to do so, shouldn't be constrained to exercise his rights, but I also agree with Bill that the sight of a gun without a uniform or badge present is cause for concern...to most people who aren't "in the know". I told him it will be interesting to see how the first 6 months to year go with the new law and how it effects business and peoples concern and safety.

He said that he would get with lawyers and security and see if they would be able to enforce just a 'No Open Carry" sign and also place a sign that explains why no guns are allowed. He also said he would better educate his managers to explain the new signs and the reason behind them.

He was very honest and candid with me and I appreciated his time. Come to find out he is much like us in the CCW community in that he has 4 vehicles and there is a gun in every one of them. I smiled a bit and thanked him for his time. It's not often you get to engage with someone who will speak honestly about a business decision, the reasons behind it and defend it no matter the consequences. He stated that he would rather lose some business to individuals who wish to Open Carry than the larger % of public who won't come because of the guns. It's all about money, and who can blame him.

AJ

Maverick7340

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't see anywhere where anyone is encouraging anyone carry in any particular way. The only thing being encouraged is to carry however you feel the most comfortable.

Carrying a gun shouldn't be all about creature comfort. It should be what is the best strategy for the environment you will be putting yourself in.

I also don't see how a "No Gun" sign is in the best interest of anyone who chooses to carry, or how it's a safety thing for the person carrying.

You are in a dark theater, everyone is looking straight ahead. The person OC has no idea what is happening behind them. They have a barrel size pop corn and a super sized coke. It would be very easy to take the OC gun. Especially the joe cool wanna be with his uncle mike's holster and his walmart belt on. Those are the people that need protected from themselves.

Unless you see the "No Gun" sign as something that means, "Keep it concealed and don't use it". Stand your ground may fail you if you use a firearm inside a place that is posted.

I don't see a sign as "don't use it" and never implied that. Can you show an example where "Stand your ground may fail you if you use a firearm inside a place that is posted".

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Carrying a gun shouldn't be all about creature comfort. It should be what is the best strategy for the environment you will be putting yourself in.

And each person should develop their own strategy. Otherwise we would have a book we could flip through and it would be codified in law how you should carry in every situation.

You are in a dark theater, everyone is looking straight ahead. The person OC has no idea what is happening behind them. They have a barrel size pop corn and a super sized coke. It would be very easy to take the OC gun. Especially the joe cool wanna be with his uncle mike's holster and his walmart belt on. Those are the people that need protected from themselves.

I disagree. There is not enough room between the seats for this to happen, that leaves the isle seats. With a belt holster, the arm rest would more than likely get in the way of any sneaky 3rd person trying to grope around in the dark for a firearm they wouldn't be able to see in the first place. If you want to protect people from themselves, then we should all sit at home and wait for the government dole wagon to come buy and give us what we need. I see no need to protect people from themselves.

I don't see a sign as "don't use it" and never implied that. Can you show an example where "Stand your ground may fail you if you use a firearm inside a place that is posted".

In order for Stand your Ground to work for you, you must 1)Be someplace you are allowed to be, 2)Not be doing anything illegal. If you are behind a posted sign it could be said you are in a place you are not allowed to be (the business owner doesn't want you there with a firearm), and you were doing something illegal (trespassing). I'm not saying this is how a jury would see it, just that it could be looked at in this light.

SoonerStatePawn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I have signs posted very visible next to my front door at the shop.

eBay 003.jpgeBay 002.jpg

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think a business should have the choice of totally unrestricted (not posted), concealed only (posted with exception for licensed/concealed), or full ban (posted with neither OC or concealed allowed). The big question is let's say that Warren took their current signs (standard gun with circle/line through them) and added "except licensed concealed carry" - would this be considered legal by the state? Would it hold up in a court if someone concealed and got caught for whatever reason?

A business already has the choice...they can post it how they want too. They don't need the state to say what they are posting is legal or not....anymore than they need the state's permission or legal "OK" to post "No outside food or drink".

If they post "No Open Carry" then your question about someone getting "caught" carrying concealed is moot....who's going to catch them and what law have they violated?

If Warren theater is really only concerned with OC, they can change their signage to reflect that.

bchandler02

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
A business already has the choice...they can post it how they want too. They don't need the state to say what they are posting is legal or not....anymore than they need the state's permission or legal "OK" to post "No outside food or drink".

If they post "No Open Carry" then your question about someone getting "caught" carrying concealed is moot....who's going to catch them and what law have they violated?

If Warren theater is really only concerned with OC, they can change their signage to reflect that.

I would agree 100% with this - but since the law doesn't specify otherwise, I'm not sure how successful we will be in getting businesses to understand this. I do support your theory though and personally think they can post it however they want and be fine, but until it is upheld in court, it's probably seen by most as a nasty gray area that they don't want to get into.

Maverick7340

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm no longer going to debate in this thread with someone who is a leader in the OKOCA and is obviously bias toward open carry.

Good luck with your continuing membership drive as you go through these threads looking for more members. Every church needs sheep to keep it going.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm no longer going to debate in this thread with someone who is a leader in the OKOCA and is obviously bias toward open carry.

Good luck with your continuing membership drive as you go through these threads looking for more members. Every church needs sheep to keep it going.

You obviously have a bias towards concealed carry. In other posts on this thread you talked about "Joe Cool" needing to be protected from himself. Well show us any real story about anyone having a gun stolen in a theater. Also show us where the OC law says you can not use an uncle mike holster on a wal mart belt with a cheap pistol.

This thread was started by someone who saw a no gun sign and inquired with the owner about law abiding citizens carrying in his business. You like many other people here have shown how you are not law abiding and how you do not respect the rights of a business owner by ignoring the request of the property owner to not carry on his property. If you do not like the business/property owners stance on carrying then go somewhere else.

Maverick7340

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You obviously have a bias towards concealed carry. In other posts on this thread you talked about "Joe Cool" needing to be protected from himself. Well show us any real story about anyone having a gun stolen in a theater. Also show us where the OC law says you can not use an uncle mike holster on a wal mart belt with a cheap pistol.

This thread was started by someone who saw a no gun sign and inquired with the owner about law abiding citizens carrying in his business. You like many other people here have shown how you are not law abiding and how you do not respect the rights of a business owner by ignoring the request of the property owner to not carry on his property. If you do not like the business/property owners stance on carrying then go somewhere else.

I am bias toward CC in a theater. Not even the leaders of OKOCA think it's a good idea to OC there since they themselves won't do it (check the OKOCA facebook page).

You missed my point on the holster and belt. No one said using cheap holsters and belts are against the law. It's just not a good way to keep your gun close to your body and secure.

You need to educate yourself on the law before telling someone they are not law abiding. The law clearly says where you can not carry. As you said the signs are just a request, not a law.

After reading what Bill Warren said from another post here I agree with him and will continue to go to the Warren Theater CC.

Latest posts

Top Bottom