We are about to have a Texting while driving law

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gasp!!! You support a law that PREVENTS and MITIGATES risk to others? How authoritarian of you!! Why not only punish that jerk in the one ton after he's run over a kid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about no texting in a school zone LOL

It is a right granted to those of a certain age with the mental and physical capabilities of performing the task.

Depends on who you ask. The "legal" definition is that it's a privilege. A lot of people disagree and see it as a fundamental right. I can see where both sides are coming from. Personally, I see it as a privilege if you want to drive on roads paid for by the government (taxpayers).

I thought driving was considered a priveledge, and of which can also be taken away, and mandated as seen fit?

Men have traveled since the beginning of time...they should be allowed to use the technology of the day to travel without having to ask permission or pay any special fee to the gov't...ESPECIALLY if they are tax payers themselves...because it's not like the gov is going to let people build their own private road system all over the place. You should not have to get ask permission to exercise a RIGHT...however, here in 2015 with 315 million people, I think litmus tests are fine as long as they are not overly burdensome or profitable to the state...so going back to what Ted said about reasonable traffic laws; we could have a more free society but still be diligent about public safety if we made some changes...we need "just enough laws & regulation" and no more than that. Verifying citizenship, verifying mental and physical ability, etc...and then a no cost or low cost "license" for private citizens. We could go from 1984 to a free republic and still exist just fine...legalize freedom!

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it will help people to go when the light turns green I'm all for it.

Coz

It won't. Doesn't apply when vehicle is not in motion.

"The provisions of this section shall not apply to a motor vehicle operator who is: Performing duties as an operator of an authorized emergency vehicle..."

I'm not seeing this provision in the Enrolled final version.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That wasn't my assertion. Seeing as the message was posted as a reply to sh00ter, I assumed that it was evident that my reply was specifically for him, as opposed to all who oppose the law in question. My apology for the ambiguity. I'm having trouble remembering his exact statements (and don't want to scroll through 19 pages to find them) but it was something along the lines of "people that support laws like this will lap it up while waving their Gadsden flags" and that ALL tea partiers were supportive of reducing individual liberties. I thought the latter one was kind of strange and I'm not even what I'd call a "tea partier."

I took that post as a broad spectrum response to anyone that opposes the law. Maybe sh00ter was making an assumption that OSA is populated mostly by tea partiers and was pointing out the hypocrisy that would imply.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is all just food for thought.

bottom line is, there is now a law that prohibits texting and driving, unless your special*

im outta here
I've got work to do

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is all just food for thought.

bottom line is, there is now a law that prohibits texting and driving, unless your special*

im outta here
I've got work to do

The law would be better if it defined "dangerously texting" or something...this way an overzealous policeman would not take pleasure in citing a guy who isn't hurting anyone. The "risk" to the public is not the exact same in EVERY scenario of texting. If only those worst case scenarios were punished, where the risk was determined to be greater (such as weaving or in heavy HWY traffic, etc) then I think this would be more well received. But if some guy is relying "Yes" to his wife while he is waiting for a red light to change, then it becomes more about revenue and less about protecting the public...nobody sees gray area anymore in this country.

Latest posts

Top Bottom