What AR/Ak ammo for H&H Range?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So this might sound noob-ish but I'm still somewhat in the dark as to all the different ammo available for my AR. I've been shooting Tulammo 62gr. FMJ that's steel cased for my AR and 122gr. FMJ for my AK but that's only when I shoot on my family's land. I haven't shot at an indoor range other than with my handguns and there's not much to screw up when buying handgun ammo. I am however completely stumped by the "varmint" loads and the whole 5.56 lot of military ammo.

So to save myself the trouble of reading article after article I wanted to know what you fine folks are shooting when you go to H&H. I'm going shooting this weekend for my friend's bachelor party so it'll be one of the only times I shoot my rifles indoors. If anybody has some specific cheap plinking ammo in mind I'd appreciate the help. .223/5.56 for my AR and 7.62x39 for the AK. I'd like to buy my ammo before heading up there otherwise I'll just ask the range staff what to buy in their store.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think Heartland is way more "reasonable" when it comes to steel cased ammo than H&H. Also, their indoor range has A/C :D

Any brass cased 55gr .223 will do. Walmart has the 100 round boxes of Federal 55gr .223 ammo for about $33.

For 7.62x39, you'll most likely will have to pickup some winchester white box ammo. It's all brass cased with no steel in the bullets.

H&H will also sell you the ammo there, but are a little more expensive.

RatTerrier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a question about the whole check it with a magnet, like what H&H does. If the magnet is strong enough, and you have steel cased ammo, wouldn't it be attracted to the steel case? Therefore makin the magnet operator think that you have some steel core ammo when you dont??

Arin Morris

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A list of their rules is on their website here, including what ammunition is acceptable.

Ammunition Permitted

Standard commercial and reloaded ammunition is permitted.
Any type of ammunition designed for penetrating metal is not permitted.
NO STEEL JACKETED, STEEL SHOT OR STEEL CORE BULLETS PERMITTED.
No tracer, incendiary, gas, or explosive ammunition permitted.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any brass cased 55gr .223 will do. Walmart has the 100 round boxes of Federal 55gr .223 ammo for about $33.

For 7.62x39, you'll most likely will have to pickup some winchester white box ammo. It's all brass cased with no steel in the bullets.

Well I swung by the Wal-Mart near I-35 here in Norman and they were out of the .223 but they had the 7.62x39. Kinda annoyed that 40 rounds were $32 after tax. This might be one of my very few indoor range visits.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just a heads up...Outdoor America Store has Yugo 7.62x39 brass case/non magnetic for 3.15 per box of 15. Its ok stuff. Its corrosive but if you clean your guns you wont have any problems. I never have anyway.

berserk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a question about the whole check it with a magnet, like what H&H does. If the magnet is strong enough, and you have steel cased ammo, wouldn't it be attracted to the steel case? Therefore makin the magnet operator think that you have some steel core ammo when you dont??
Thats what I always thought so I did a test. Took a wolf steel case 7.62x39 and pulled the bullet from the case, then I stuck a neo magnet to the bullet, its a bi metal jacket for sure because that magnet didnt want to come loose from it.

berserk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think Heartland is way more "reasonable" when it comes to steel cased ammo than H&H. Also, their indoor range has A/C :D

First question Heartland asked me and a friend when we told them we had ak47's was if we were shooting "good" ammo ie. not wolf or tula, when we told them yugo brass they let us through.

Latest posts

Top Bottom