What AR would you build?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, I have two AR's already. I have an M4gery and an A4gery. I'm thinking about building another and i've kicked around the idea of a 6.8 SPC. But i'm just wondering if you wanted a third AR what would you do?

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would build a 300 blackout. Everything is the same except the barrel...and obviously the billet it shoots. If you are a reloader, you can use a .223/5.56 case and cut it with a chop saw..resize with 300 blackout dies and your ready to go. It puts out a good hitting round for 200 rounds or so...and can be very well suppressed with 220 grain projectiles. The 6.8 is a great round but it's an ar variant and in my opinion costly to build and a very expensive to shoot.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm really happy with a simple M4. Red dot and BUIS. But if I wanted to experiment, I'd probably build an SPR variant of some sort...or go the other direction and built a uber-short barrelled PDR.

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 6.8SPC via AR15Perf. (ARP), Harrison is a guru with that round and has some great Nitride barrels for a very fair price (205 shipped typically).

Ultimately - I think the 300BO/Whisper would be the better route. That caliber is continually gaining momentum and feel it will cover everything from CQB on out to a fair distance. The 6.8spc has its limits and are documented, just research a bit on that round and visit 68forums. The huge benefit with the 300BO is the use of current AR15 Mags. Not that the Barrett or PRI mags ever gave an issue with mine, but they are just another item to acquire and maintain and are $$$$. Using 556 brass is also nice as well, to convert to 300BO.

Of course you have the 6.5grendel and then the 6.5CM. Again, each having its following. But research the platforms and tooling req's etc...... i feel the 300BO will still be the 'better' choice to try per your words.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
7.62x39

Oh wait... I'll just buy an AK. ;)

Actually, I've thought alot about this, and while I have considered the 6.8, I think the 6.5 Grendel might be a better choice. Although I think a 9mm would be the most economical to shoot comparative to the other calibers, and ought to be pretty fun, too. I just think those narrow little mags look kinda pansy in a cool-looking black rifle. :/

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I would decide on range and purpose to make the determination. If I already had one or more good general-purpose builds in 5.56, my next build would be for very short range (300 blk SBR?) or longer range (18-20" 308?). I find the prospect of a 300 blk SBR the most exciting at the moment.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm really happy with a simple M4. Red dot and BUIS. But if I wanted to experiment, I'd probably build an SPR variant of some sort...or go the other direction and built a uber-short barrelled PDR.

This is where i stand as well. Any ar outside of the m4 to cqbr size becomes more specialized the further you stray. Is there a specific need or want you are wanting to fill which could be better served by a different platform? If so i would let that be my guide.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have to side with tRidiot on the 6.5 Grendel. It has better ballistics than the 6.8spc. The problem is this, it's probably just as expensive to shoot. The 300aac blackout is a great idea too. It's my next AR.

Latest posts

Top Bottom