What AR would you build?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you already have two m4's, I'd go with some off the wall caliber. Maybe something on the heavy end, like say, .450 Bushmaster or if such a creation existed, a .375 wildcat.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've started building on the AR-10 platform. Still can't decide between 6.5creedmore and .243 though. HBAR/Free Float/Skelestock. Dip it in camo one day.
If I were going to build another AR-15, I'd probably build a 6.8spc/rifle length

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I've already got a .243WSSM, but the 6.5 is interesting. Might have to build one of those.
I have three stripped lowers with parts coming to start building some more. Probably do a 5.56 with a 1-7 for some heavier bullets. Don't really know what to do afterward, but might go with some of the bigger rounds like NINEROUND.

Been considering one of the classic M-16's with the triangle forearm. That's what I carried back in the day for nostalgic purposes. I see Sportsmans guide is selling the kits.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I've already got a .243WSSM, but the 6.5 is interesting. Might have to build one of those.
I have three stripped lowers with parts coming to start building some more. Probably do a 5.56 with a 1-7 for some heavier bullets. Don't really know what to do afterward, but might go with some of the bigger rounds like NINEROUND.

Been considering one of the classic M-16's with the triangle forearm. That's what I carried back in the day for nostalgic purposes. I see Sportsmans guide is selling the kits.

Retro's are always fun. I've built three of them. You can find barreled uppers on arfcom and gunbroker. I've also kicked around the idea of a 6.5 grendel, and a 9mm would also be fun for a plinker.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh yeah. Forgot about a retro. I'd like a slab sided, slick M-16 style with triangle hand guards as well. Funny that's what I carried for a long time too Dennis, and our service was decades apart.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have about 2000 rounds through my 300 Blackout SBR now. About 600 of that is suppressed. I completely understand its popularity. I can make hits on a 18" x 24" plate at 200 yards using suppressed ammunition easily.

However, with that being said, I am not sure whether or not I would build one again. The bullets themselves, when you can find them, are roughly twice the cost of comparable 5.56 bullets. The 125 grn SMK's have been available but those are pretty pricey. The Speer 130 grn TNT is my favorite loading, but it has been vaporware since Sandy Hook. Component availability is a big issue in my mind. The cartridge is really specialized for the SBR role. If you are building a 16" gun or are a high volume shooter, my opinion is to go with the 5.56 cartridge. A 70 grn Barnes TSX will readily handle hogs or deer sized game. Then you can switch to cheap 5.56 ammunition for general blinking.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The idea of the 300 is to make for a quiet round sub sonic..so why not just cast your own bullets for it.
That would make it much cheaper to shoot.
One day i may jump on the AR train...Not there yet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom