What AR would you build?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I built a 10.5" blackout and love it. Whenever I go out to the range, it's probably the most requested rifle people ask to shoot. I have a KX3 type compensator right now so i've lucked out in that my build reliably shoots both subsonics and supersonics. Some builds may have issues with subsonics without a suppressor or are overgassed with supersonics when tuned for subsonics.

What's amazing is that the 300 blackout really shows you what a 7.62 intermediate cartridge can really do out to long ranges when built on an accurate platform. It really makes you think just how much potential the AK never realized with the intermediate round. Granted, the AK had a different purpose in mind, so not really apples to apples.

Unless the 6.8 becomes adopted by the military or ammo becomes comparable to 300 blackout rounds in price, I think I would go with 6.5 instead if you wanted long range. Otherwise, I'd go 300 blackout or 9mm.

Last edited:

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The idea of the 300 is to make for a quiet round sub sonic..so why not just cast your own bullets for it.
That would make it much cheaper to shoot.
One day i may jump on the AR train...Not there yet.

I wont run lead through a direct gas system. I know people who do successfully, but I am not one of them.

To piggyback what AESTUS said, if you are going to build an 300 blackout, Novkeske and AAC both have properly sized gas ports to shoot Subsonics suppressed or unsuppresed. I am sure others do too, but those two companies worked together during development.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since I already have a tax stamp for an SBR, I want to build a second upper and use a different buttstock. The goal is make one as short, lightweight and compact as possible.

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
300 blackout i just finished , Psa upper & lower/stock ,magpul mid lt forearm , magpul sights

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 126

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with the guys above who suggested a retro build. I decide to do an A1 clone. Got all the parts together for it except the lower. Waiting on NoDak Spud to make some more and ship me one (told it will be April).

[Broken External Image]

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with the guys above who suggested a retro build. I decide to do an A1 clone. Got all the parts together for it except the lower. Waiting on NoDak Spud to make some more and ship me one (told it will be April).

[Broken External Image]

Holy Crap! exactly what I want to do.

Is that the kit from sportsmans guide?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh yeah. Forgot about a retro. I'd like a slab sided, slick M-16 style with triangle hand guards as well. Funny that's what I carried for a long time too Dennis, and our service was decades apart.

I can't believe they kept those POS in service without changing the barrels. The 1-14 twist to destabilize the .55 grain round and not crimping the base of the FMJ so it would separate was a great idea, but accuracy, compounded with dirty powders put a bad taste in my mouth for this platform.

Given that most firefights were at 50 yards or less, I guess the round worked as designed to separate on contact create separate wound channels.
Until 8 years ago, I fought buying one, but now have more than needed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom