What AR would you build?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't believe they kept those POS in service without changing the barrels. The 1-14 twist to destabilize the .55 grain round and not crimping the base of the FMJ so it would separate was a great idea, but accuracy, compounded with dirty powders put a bad taste in my mouth for this platform.

Given that most firefights were at 50 yards or less, I guess the round worked as designed to separate on contact create separate wound channels.
Until 8 years ago, I fought buying one, but now have more than needed.

The 1/14 twist barrels were only used on some of the earliest M16's (Colt model 601). The twist rate was changed to 1/12 in July 1963. Later M16's and all M16A1's had 1/12. If you can find a 1/14 barrel the retro guys will pay a fortune for one.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't believe they kept those POS in service without changing the barrels. The 1-14 twist to destabilize the .55 grain round and not crimping the base of the FMJ so it would separate was a great idea, but accuracy, compounded with dirty powders put a bad taste in my mouth for this platform.

Given that most firefights were at 50 yards or less, I guess the round worked as designed to separate on contact create separate wound channels.
Until 8 years ago, I fought buying one, but now have more than needed.

Ours at least had the 1-12...but no forward assist and many had no fence around the mag release either. Some units didn't get converted to A2 config until 2003 or later! After that it was funny handling an "A2" with no fence.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ours at least had the 1-12...but no forward assist and many had no fence around the mag release either. Some units didn't get converted to A2 config until 2003 or later! After that it was funny handling an "A2" with no fence.

It is amazing how much old stuff is still in use. Here is a pic I tool a year ago of a rifle that one of my students was issued. It is an old GM Hydramatic A1 lower that was restamped "A2".

img.photobucket.com_albums_v389_CAR_AR_M16_GMA2A1.jpg

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ulg ??an gaper style from KIng guns i got from them at a small show last yr. barrle from Fatboys tac- working on building cases to load up after things melt off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom