what are you using for coyotes (gun)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
anyone using a .270 win with light bullet?

I bought a box of bullets several years ago, and I can't remember the weight. They are in the shop, and I am in the house with a nice single barrel adult drink and am thinking they are a 90 grain HP? I'll check tomorrow to make sure thats correct.
My buddy bought a box the same day, and he has had "fair" luck with it in his opinion.
My opinion, looking at his reloads, and how he did it, I will have to shoot some myself.
My 130 gr shoot good.
Good enough for hunting.
I've never seen a .270 in any competition for accuracy.
I stand to be corrected if anybody knows of one.
Yes, I own one. I have killed lots of deer with it. I stand by the competition statment.

twocan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a box of bullets several years ago, and I can't remember the weight. They are in the shop, and I am in the house with a nice single barrel adult drink and am thinking they are a 90 grain HP? I'll check tomorrow to make sure thats correct.
My buddy bought a box the same day, and he has had "fair" luck with it in his opinion.
My opinion, looking at his reloads, and how he did it, I will have to shoot some myself.
My 130 gr shoot good.
Good enough for hunting.
I've never seen a .270 in any competition for accuracy.
I stand to be corrected if anybody knows of one.
Yes, I own one. I have killed lots of deer with it. I stand by the competition statment.

I think the 270 is hated more than loved. Just about everyone iv talked to about the round, says it shoots great but it dont kill great.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the 270 is hated more than loved. Just about everyone iv talked to about the round, says it shoots great but it dont kill great.

Here is the good thing about my .270.
I paid $25 to get into a Quail unlimited banquet.
Paid $5 for a door prize.
Won a $800 Win Mod 70 super grade with even the screws engraved. Pretty fancy gun. Almost afraid to take it out, but it has taken a few deer.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.270 is my favorite round for hunting deer ... killed my share of deer with my trusty 50's Weatherby .270. pretty darn accurate rifle!

just getting into varmint ... my heavy barrel AR would do the job... 22-250 with Lija barrel on Remington XP action is still in project mode. needs a custom stock, seems to be on the back burner.

twocan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.270 is my favorite round for hunting deer ... killed my share of deer with my trusty 50's Weatherby .270. pretty darn accurate rifle!

just getting into varmint ... my heavy barrel AR would do the job... 22-250 with Lija barrel on Remington XP action is still in project mode. needs a custom stock, seems to be on the back burner.

I have also killed my share with the 270. Loved the gun but just did not like the way it killed deer. Iv killed deer with 223,243,25-06,270,308,30-06,300wsm,7.62x39,8mm and 44mag. The 243 has always been my favorite round and will be until i get tired of watching them deer fall in there tracks. There is nothing wrong with the 270 its just not for me.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Basically the .270 was championed by Jack O'Conner for 20+ years, and for that reason, it became a round that Elk hunters coveted.....Just because Jack O'conner said so.
There have been books written about the comparison of the .270 VS the 30.06.
All that being said. The 30.06 has won more Camp Perry 1000yd matches than any other round in history.
The .270, has never been entered. WHY?

Hooker

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It's not that the .270 couldn't be a viable competitor.
Two things that kept it out of competition at Camp Perry.
1. It never was a military round. That in it self wont disqualify it but, military status would have put it in the mix.
2. Bullet weight, The heavy in this caliber is the 150 gr .277 cal bullet and is a poor choice for 1000 yd competition.
A 165 -170 gr pill would give a much better BC and make a better 1000 yd competitor.
All things being equal the .270 is as good as the 30/06 I like them both.

Back on topic
I like to use what ever rifle and load I use for deer on the song dogs. Right now that is a Remington 700 sps Tac in .308 with a 165 gr Nosler ballistic tip boat tail over a healthy load of Varget.

Pat

Latest posts

Top Bottom