What is your favorite rifle caliber?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Currently all my big bores are H&R, 3 45-70 of which two are the standard version & one Buffalo Classic which is an absolute dream to shoot.
I had a Marlin lever but traded it towards a S&W 617, I see another one (guide gun) somewhere in my future eventually.
I don't care much for the SASS stuff so I probably won't worry much about type versus performance.

Buffalo Classic, I'm in the market for one, and I've heard nothing but good things about them!

fubarjohnnyr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I'm seeing plenty of .308/.243 suggested and rightly so. Don't forget the other middle member in the family; the venerable 7mm-08.

I love that round out of my Remington 788, absolute tack driver and deer dropper.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How much recoil does the 7-08 have? I've been looking for a new deer rifle.

With all things equal rifle weight etc. considerably less than a .308 it's often recommended for youth ladies and the recoil sensitive much like a .243 win or .257 Roberts.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How much recoil does the 7-08 have? I've been looking for a new deer rifle.
I have a Browning Micro-Hunter in 7mm/08 that weighs only a little over six pounds. My willowy little neice could shoot it when she fourteen years old. It does kick a little more than .243 which is to say, not much.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ones I shoot the most: .308, 8mm, .303

Ones I shoot often: .45-70, .22 Jet, 7.5x55, .444, .357max

I've been on an H&R kick lately, and usually buy a barrel every couple of months, and then let it sit in the corner until I can find a deal on a compatible scope... usually vintage ones off here, and then shoot a box of shells though it, get setup to reload it and shoot another box of shells, then sit it in the other corner with all of the barrels I've shot two boxes of shells though and gotten bored with. It is pretty neat to compare cartridges that way though, with minimal investment.

Latest posts

Top Bottom