What should a person do/know before an AR build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This thread, my friends, should be renamed "The Best of OSA" - because it really showcases the fine folks here at their best. My hat is off to you all and my apologies for interrupting the thread.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Building your own AR is by far the best way to become intimately familiar with all the parts, how they work and what they do, and be able to troubleshoot 95% of the problems (or more!) that you will encounter in day to day use. It's also a lot of fun and very satisfying in a Tim the Toolman Taylor kind of way (insert manly grunting here). So much fun... I'd love to be able to do it for a living, without a doubt - I mean that in terms of gunsmithing and gunshop ownership.

Baus302

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just finished my first one ever 2 weeks ago. It was a great learning experience, and I can say I am already looking forward to my next build! I decided to go with an A2 style build for my first go, and I am very happy with how it came out. I already had most of the basic tools (combo tool, punches, etc.), and a vise. Since I was going with an unassembled upper, I purchased a Brownell's torque extension tool for the barrell install. I had read about the Geisselle reaction rod, and in researching it, I discovered the more economical Brownell's tool. Like the reaction rod, the torque extension tool allows you to install the barrel without an upper receiver clamshell/action block (supposedly, these tools don't stress the upper as much as when using a clamshell). I also purchased a cheap roll pin starter punch set. I should have also bought a roll pin punch set (the kinds with the protrusions on the tips to help keep from slipping). I thought I could get away with using my pin punches, but I did wind up making a couple of scratches on my upper and lower. Which leads me to my next purchase recommendation, a Birchwood Casey Super Black touch up pen!
22301890751_ce0d36c002_o.jpg

glowworm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 for painters tape to protect the finish. Many a newbie has buggered up the finish with a roll pin or punch. (me included). Before you assemble the FCG, take a moment and polish the sear face. Also, when I assemble my lowers, I tap the hole for the safety spring and rear take down pin and insert a small set screw. Makes subsequent disassembly much easier.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just finished my first one ever 2 weeks ago. It was a great learning experience, and I can say I am already looking forward to my next build! I decided to go with an A2 style build for my first go, and I am very happy with how it came out. I already had most of the basic tools (combo tool, punches, etc.), and a vise. Since I was going with an unassembled upper, I purchased a Brownell's torque extension tool for the barrell install. I had read about the Geisselle reaction rod, and in researching it, I discovered the more economical Brownell's tool. Like the reaction rod, the torque extension tool allows you to install the barrel without an upper receiver clamshell/action block (supposedly, these tools don't stress the upper as much as when using a clamshell). I also purchased a cheap roll pin starter punch set. I should have also bought a roll pin punch set (the kinds with the protrusions on the tips to help keep from slipping). I thought I could get away with using my pin punches, but I did wind up making a couple of scratches on my upper and lower. Which leads me to my next purchase recommendation, a Birchwood Casey Super Black touch up pen!
View attachment 51631

It's a tool, it's gonna get scratched, just buy more ammo

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I finished the lower this weekend. It wasn't too hard. Now I have to gather the parts for the upper. I had all the tools I needed for the lower build. I had bought some brass pin punches off of the Cummins tool truck a few years ago, they were perfect for use as slave pins and for driving the roll pins in to the lower. I couldn't find my long Allan wrenches to run the screw into the grip, but I had the right size Allan bit and used it in a Snap-On nut driver to get to the screw. The thing that was most difficult for me, was to start the pin through the hammer while keeping tension on the spring. If you had a third hand it wouldn't be an issue. I bought a stock assembly off a Facebook forum, and that person threw in a little book called, "Build your own AR-15 rifle" by David Strauss. There is a page with pictures of all the various springs and pins, that helped me sort out the parts in the Anderson lower kit I bought. The most helpful thing was this YouTube video. https://youtu.be/bV81z8kegh8 This guy builds a lower in less than 22 minutes, it took me longer, but this was my first and I'm sure he has built many. I'd watch along and pause it after each operation. It is a fun project and I'm really enjoying it, like someone mentioned, it is like TinkerToys for adults. Now on to the upper.

Latest posts

Top Bottom