What to do

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is alot of ignorance in this thread. I hope like hell lurkers don't take alot of this advice given here unless the want to be staring down a barrel or be thrown in jail. Oklahoma has laws pertaining to cattle, I suggest you look them up or ask someone with some sense. Your county sherrif is a good start.

I don't think it sounds mean ... :anyone: I've seen "advice" in some self-defense threads that had my skin literally crawling it was so bad ...

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I pretty much agree(that is after cooling down and giving it some thought)with everything tntrex & r00s7a said.That is why i decided to put a eletric fence up. It will be a barb wire eletric fence.The deer should'nt tear it up where it will be deer do'nt travel that way much.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is alot of ignorance in this thread. I hope like hell lurkers don't take alot of this advice given here unless the want to be staring down a barrel or be thrown in jail. Oklahoma has laws pertaining to cattle, I suggest you look them up or ask someone with some sense. Your county sherrif is a good start.

Which is why I posted this:

Quote Originally Posted by batchman View Post

Is it legal to kill a cow that comes on your property? Serious question?

Dennis:
I don't think I would do that and expect to enjoy some steaks

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I pretty much agree(that is after cooling down and giving it some thought)with everything tntrex & r00s7a said.That is why i decided to put a eletric fence up. It will be a barb wire eletric fence.The deer should'nt tear it up where it will be deer do'nt travel that way much.

IMO, save the money on the barb wire and just use regular electric fence wire. The smooth wire, will be much much easier to stretch through insulators and will work just as well as a cattle deterrent. (If the fence is in good shape and hot)

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
IMO, save the money on the barb wire and just use regular electric fence wire. The smooth wire, will be much much easier to stretch through insulators and will work just as well as a cattle deterrent. (If the fence is in good shape and hot)

I am shocked by what I read here and am amazed that hunters think their stuff comes first. How people do not realize that cattle owners rights always come first (and should) unless proven history of negilence . Now, should cattle owner possibly offer something up in damages for goodwill-yes, but is he entitled to-NO. Cattle have been breaching fences , breeding heifers, eating crops for 100's of years and nothing will change that. Those of us with ties to the land (hunting and non-hunting alike) need to realize this and chalk it up to risk.

Do you realize that if your new SUV that is worth as much as some people's houses hits one of those cows in the road and totals it, that the cows owner will not pay a cent? These laws are there for a reason.

We have had this happen several times over the course of years and yes it sucks, but you go on. It's part of rural life. Now if this is the 10th time in the last year, different story.

Talk of shooting cows, lawyers, etc. just sickens me. Get along, and then when the P&Y you shoot hops the fence onto your neighbor (who owned the cows), he lets you go retrieve it, or just show no grace, and watch him smile as he discourages entry.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am shocked by what I read here and am amazed that hunters think their stuff comes first. How people do not realize that cattle owners rights always come first (and should) unless proven history of negilence . Now, should cattle owner possibly offer something up in damages for goodwill-yes, but is he entitled to-NO. Cattle have been breaching fences , breeding heifers, eating crops for 100's of years and nothing will change that. Those of us with ties to the land (hunting and non-hunting alike) need to realize this and chalk it up to risk.

Do you realize that if your new SUV that is worth as much as some people's houses hits one of those cows in the road and totals it, that the cows owner will not pay a cent? These laws are there for a reason.

We have had this happen several times over the course of years and yes it sucks, but you go on. It's part of rural life. Now if this is the 10th time in the last year, different story.

Talk of shooting cows, lawyers, etc. just sickens me. Get along, and then when the P&Y you shoot hops the fence onto your neighbor (who owned the cows), he lets you go retrieve it, or just show no grace, and watch him smile as he discourages entry.

That's a lot easier to do the first or even second time cows destroy your food plots. I have no cows; it is not incumbent on me to keep my place fenced. I have every right in the world to take down a few sections of wire on the side that borders county road. If Mr. Cattle Baron values his cows much, he'll fix his fence.
I don't advocate shooting the cows, only because that would get the shooter in trouble.
If my dog gets out of the fence, I am liable for whatever mayhem he causes to others, cows ain't any different in my eyes. Having Old West "cows come first" laws don't make it right for a landowner to be irresponsible with his livestock. (this is not open range)

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Correct not open range, but must prove negligence.

http://www.oda.state.ok.us/forms/ogc/grg.pdf

2.11 Open Range Information

Oklahoma is not an open range state. 4 O.S. § 98 2000 Supp. states that all
domestic animals shall be restrained from running at large in the State of
Oklahoma. The definition of “domestic animals” includes “cattle, horses, swine,
sheep, goats, exotic livestock and all other animals not considered wild,” but does
not include domestic house pets or feral hogs. This law went into effect on
January 1, 1966. The entire text of Oklahoma’s Herd Law is contained in Chapter
V of this policy.

2.12 2.12 Animals at Large & Vehicle Accident Information

In 1972, the Oklahoma Supreme Court stated that a person who strikes an animal
at large must prove that the animal’s owner either intentionally let the animal
loose or that the owner’s negligence allowed the animal to escape. The Court also
stated that the fact that an animal is on the highway does not raise a presumption
of negligence but that negligence must be shown by the facts and circumstances
of the case. This ruling has been upheld in other Oklahoma Supreme Court cases.

Been on several vehicle vs. bovine mva's. Make sure your insurance is up to date. :) Cattle are being cattle.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Did you quote wrong post? Because I don't see where, your reply was in response to difference of electric fence wire or barb wire.

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Did you quote wrong post? Because I don't see where, your reply was in response to difference of electric fence wire or barb wire.

I am an equal opportunity replier. I just click on the post closest and go from there . But you are correct, I should not have hit "with quote" although I can say I do have strong opinions on barb wire especially in regards to Red Brand 2 vs Gaucho 4 vs Atwoods Chinese crap. Also, Schaeffer Tposts (were) the best.

Latest posts

Top Bottom