What would you have done as a shop owner?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I once took a rifle in to a local gun shop to trade it for a target bow (I was hot and heavy into target archery at the time). I still kick myself in the butt for doing it, but at the time, I wasn't thinking straight.

Anyway, I had a Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker (1st generation) in .270 Winchester. It had a Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 scope, Flip-Open scope caps, a Harris bi-pod, Uncle Mike's Super Sling, and a buttstock shell holder. This rifle would shoot 3/4" groups at 100 yards using either Federal Premium, or Remington Core-Lokt ammo. And with a handload with Ballistic Tips, it would shoot 1/2" groups. And it would hold those groups out at longer distances, 1.75" groups at 200 yards, and 2.85" groups at 300 yards. It was a smokin' shooter!

Well, we made the trade, and not only did I tell him about how it shot with factory ammo, I gave him the recipe for the handloads thinking this would be a winner of a deer hunting package he could sell easily. Before I even left the shop, he had it completely torn apart and put the bare rifle up on the rack with the rest of them.

I couldn't believe it, but, it wasn't mine anymore so "oh well". I know in most cases you don't know whether to believe someone or not when they tell you things like that, but we'd done business before and he knew I didn't make things up.

If you had such a package with complete details, would you have done the same thing?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Common practice.
90% of the customers would not want what you had on it or could not afford the whole package at one time.
example;
The next guy in wants the rifle but a 3-9 tasco and a $10 sling is good enough for him.
Generally you are better off selling the add-ons someplace like OSA than trading with the gun. Most dealers won't give a very good trade on the accessories.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The proprietor would know how to maximize his profit and unless he was going to keep it for himself, parting the rig out would probably be the way to go. He's in business to make money after all.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The proprietor would know how to maximize his profit and unless he was going to keep it for himself, parting the rig out would probably be the way to go. He's in business to make money after all.

+1, that echos what I was about to type.

Latest posts

Top Bottom