What would you like to see changed, seasons-wise?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiefarmer1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hunter safety course: age requirements 9yrs and under have to take and pass, where as 10-35yrs can go with someone who is 21yrs and has card. The odwc is losing money on this one. They could be selling a few more tags.

crawdad

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The current deer management system that OWD is using does not work. You can drive down a 5 mile dirt road and all the land on both sides of that stretch of road is privately owned. Of all the owners down that stretch of road there maybe only one who is trying to manage his land for deer or he/she maybe the only one who allows hunting on thier land. If that one owner is trying to manage his land for deer, and all the surrounding owners aren't, then he/she is wasting their time. Most property around here is only 20,40, or 60 acre lots. You cannot properly manage a deer habitat on your little acreage if your neighbors aren't doing the same.

We have 40 acres and after the first few days of hunting, all the deer go next door to a 160 acre field/wooded area where the land owner does not allow any hunting at all. It's a piece sanctuary for the deer. After season closes, it's nothing to see groups of 8 to 12 does back on our land. So how could we possibly manage the doe population with such a scenario that is played out all across Oklahoma. Or at least in my neck of the woods.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about doing away with the zones? I hunt in Pittsburgh county and literally across the street is a different zone. The zone we are in limits antlerless (doe) days. During muzzleloader season I only hunted during the week as I had to work both weekends. I saw 16 does the first 3 days and gladly would have taken one....but it wasnt legal if only we would have had land on the west side of the road. I say do away with the zones or maybe only make them in effect during rifle season.

handlebar

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
how bout a shotgun season or a cowboy action style season, irons sight only. or a breech load season, 45-70 during muzzel loader season. More seasons for differnet style of guns.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The current deer management system that OWD is using does not work. You can drive down a 5 mile dirt road and all the land on both sides of that stretch of road is privately owned. Of all the owners down that stretch of road there maybe only one who is trying to manage his land for deer or he/she maybe the only one who allows hunting on thier land. If that one owner is trying to manage his land for deer, and all the surrounding owners aren't, then he/she is wasting their time. Most property around here is only 20,40, or 60 acre lots. You cannot properly manage a deer habitat on your little acreage if your neighbors aren't doing the same.

We have 40 acres and after the first few days of hunting, all the deer go next door to a 160 acre field/wooded area where the land owner does not allow any hunting at all. It's a piece sanctuary for the deer. After season closes, it's nothing to see groups of 8 to 12 does back on our land. So how could we possibly manage the doe population with such a scenario that is played out all across Oklahoma. Or at least in my neck of the woods.

What does this have to do with ODWC deer management system?

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree.. we're missing a lot of the rut between primitive and gun seasons.. sure there's bow hunting, but I prefer gun hunting. i'd also like to see landowner freedom to control predators like bobcats out of season.

What kind of problems do you have to need to control bobcats out of season?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

When DMAP started it had to be 1K acres, all joined and with one owner, and as I understand it now, It can be multiple owners with the same managment goal in mind.
I'm not sure if the minimum 1K acres is still in effect, but it has to be close.
Perhaps with the proper information you could approach your neighbors, even the ones that don't hunt, but are experiencing garden, and shrub problems, and convince them that being a partner in the project, would help their problem and bow hunting near their home would be used, no guns. It has to be a partnership, kind of like a homeowner association? It doesn't have to be a DMAP but convincing the people in your area that a couple of archers can take 4 does each, the more the merrier?
Just a suggestion.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dshoddy,

I saw your posts about the Kansas walk in program and thought it was very interesting idea. I wonder if the ODWC has considered this? I know that they pride themselves on being totally self sufficient, but maybe there is some way the state can help them or no? I understand where they might be hesitant because it might start them down a slippery slope. I just think that this could be a good way for more land in the state of oklahoma to be opened up to hunting. I know we have a lot of public land but I think that there could never be too much land to hunt. Especially if it will allow oppurtunites for people to get into hunting or assure future generations more hunting oppurtunites.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dshoddy,

I saw your posts about the Kansas walk in program and thought it was very interesting idea. I wonder if the ODWC has considered this? I know that they pride themselves on being totally self sufficient, but maybe there is some way the state can help them or no? I understand where they might be hesitant because it might start them down a slippery slope. I just think that this could be a good way for more land in the state of oklahoma to be opened up to hunting. I know we have a lot of public land but I think that there could never be too much land to hunt. Especially if it will allow oppurtunites for people to get into hunting or assure future generations more hunting oppurtunites.

Actually Ok has very little premium land for upland public hunting compared to KS.

I've tried to champion this cause in the past, but have had no response from the ODW.
Reason is, not enough people are getting on board as they have never been on a WIHA and don't understand the principal.

In KS the landowner can put X# of acres in the WIHA and recieve a cash reward for it. Some do it for the money, some do it because they can put the signs on their land, and don't have to mess with 20 people a day coming to ask permission.

There is a lot of hunting pressure on the WHIA's early in the season. We did it late season, and still had a little luck with 40mph winds. We didn't limit out, but we did kill birds.

At the motel, we had hunter groups from Colo, Neb, Ok, Tx, Nm. I understand in the early season, they come from all over the U.S. as Ks, and Ok, and Tx are the last bastillions of quail.

I loved this town as every business had a big "Welcome hunters" sign on their front door. They make their money from us and they know it. The morning lobby was filled with camo, and quail field gear. People were moving up and down the hallways with cased shotguns, and there was not a eyebrow raised.

Bird dogs are allowed in the room with a $10 extra charge. How good is this?:D
That being said,
I've stated before that I would like to see this.

Also being the devils advocate, If Ok did this walk-in program would we attract so many out of staters that it would be a detriment to the locals??

I'm really interested in your opionions. Please post a reply, and no matter what the result is, we will submit them to the ODW. No editing, nothing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom