What would you like to see changed, seasons-wise?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually Ok has very little premium land for upland public hunting compared to KS.

I've tried to champion this cause in the past, but have had no response from the ODW.
Reason is, not enough people are getting on board as they have never been on a WIHA and don't understand the principal.

In KS the landowner can put X# of acres in the WIHA and recieve a cash reward for it. Some do it for the money, some do it because they can put the signs on their land, and don't have to mess with 20 people a day coming to ask permission.

There is a lot of hunting pressure on the WHIA's early in the season. We did it late season, and still had a little luck with 40mph winds. We didn't limit out, but we did kill birds.

At the motel, we had hunter groups from Colo, Neb, Ok, Tx, Nm. I understand in the early season, they come from all over the U.S. as Ks, and Ok, and Tx are the last bastillions of quail.

I loved this town as every business had a big "Welcome hunters" sign on their front door. They make their money from us and they know it. The morning lobby was filled with camo, and quail field gear. People were moving up and down the hallways with cased shotguns, and there was not a eyebrow raised.

Bird dogs are allowed in the room with a $10 extra charge. How good is this?:D
That being said,
I've stated before that I would like to see this.

Also being the devils advocate, If Ok did this walk-in program would we attract so many out of staters that it would be a detriment to the locals??

I am not sure do you think it would turn into something like trying to hunt at Lexington WMA? I see a lot of benefit to not only landowners but to local business as well. It certainly is an interesting idea. I am just afraid with the state already strapped for cash that it would be hard to get something like this up and running.

Rusty81

New to the site!
Reaction score
Like I said on pg 3 i support the walkin and hunt areas. I grew up in central KS and was around some prime hunting land. When the walkin program started it added access to more of the prime land and opened alot of the unused CRP fields up to hunting. One of the best hunting experiances ive ever had was on the walk in areas. And i have been hunting for 14 of my 28 years. only 4 were in kansas and the rest has been here in oklahoma. I dont have access to go and scout all the public land around the state because it is all 1-4 hours away from my house. With the walkin program it might be able to open up more local areas to hunt it. Even if it is just 40 acres.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like I said on pg 3 i support the walkin and hunt areas. I grew up in central KS and was around some prime hunting land. When the walkin program started it added access to more of the prime land and opened alot of the unused CRP fields up to hunting. One of the best hunting experiances ive ever had was on the walk in areas. And i have been hunting for 14 of my 28 years. only 4 were in kansas and the rest has been here in oklahoma. I dont have access to go and scout all the public land around the state because it is all 1-4 hours away from my house. With the walkin program it might be able to open up more local areas to hunt it. Even if it is just 40 acres.

The best walk-in area we hunted was 160 acres, and the next was a 40. The walk in areas work.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder if the landowners of this great state would support such a program. I know that they had something like a walk in program at one time for dove hunting and it failed miserably. I think that a walk in program like kansas would do great here...if we could just get some key people to support it. I think this is going to be a pet project of mine. I will see what we can do.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if the landowners of this great state would support such a program. I know that they had something like a walk in program at one time for dove hunting and it failed miserably. I think that a walk in program like kansas would do great here...if we could just get some key people to support it. I think this is going to be a pet project of mine. I will see what we can do.
I remember the dove walk in areas several years ago, but didn't know it failed.
do you know the reasons why? I'm just courious.
It was just around the metro areas, and us "northerners" didn't use it.

perfor8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
More doe days. Every wildlife program talks-up shooting does. Every wildlife hunting publication practically begs me to shoot does. Then they limit the days I can shoot does. I don't get it. I PREFER to shoot does, I'm putting them in the freezer. Why limit doe days?

A.J.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I might change the direction of this thread a little, here's my thoughts.
I wish hunters were allowed 1 bull Elk on the controlled hunts, AND 1 cow Elk in their lifetime. I kept trying for 30-some years to draw a bull tag till I finally gave up and put in for and got drawn for a cow. The weather was brutal. All I saw was bulls, and I decided after that first day, for a cow Elk, it just wasn't worth it.
I wish the ODWC would sell lifetime trout stamps for us trout fanatics. Yes, just $10 is a bargain IF you live within a reasonable distance of a trout fishery. The closest for me is Pawhuska at 90 miles, followed by Roman Nose about 100 miles. Driving double those miles on a round trip, and even IF you limit out, those 6 little fish are pretty expensive.
I wish doves could be taken with air rifles.
That's about it for my wish list.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I might change the direction of this thread a little, here's my thoughts.
I wish hunters were allowed 1 bull Elk on the controlled hunts, AND 1 cow Elk in their lifetime. I kept trying for 30-some years to draw a bull tag till I finally gave up and put in for and got drawn for a cow. The weather was brutal. All I saw was bulls, and I decided after that first day, for a cow Elk, it just wasn't worth it.
I wish the ODWC would sell lifetime trout stamps for us trout fanatics. Yes, just $10 is a bargain IF you live within a reasonable distance of a trout fishery. The closest for me is Pawhuska at 90 miles, followed by Roman Nose about 100 miles. Driving double those miles on a round trip, and even IF you limit out, those 6 little fish are pretty expensive.
I wish doves could be taken with air rifles.
That's about it for my wish list.

If you want to trout fish at Pawhuska, let me know. I don't have anybody to go with, and do go by myself on occasion, but its better to go with somebody else. I'm on the road. Live 2mi S of Hwy 60 just east of Ponca. Pm me if interested. I do have to work some weekends, and have a Canoe with trolling motor that can be used on that small lake.

RT66

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you should have to tag a doe before you are allowed to take a 2nd buck. This would finally lower the increasing doe population like they have been trying to do for years now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom