What's the fastest way to trim brass?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use a Dillon 1200 electric trimmer on a Dillon 650 progressive.

As far as how many I can do in an hour. If I take my time, I can do about 800 an hour.

This is what I use also. 800-1000 is a good estimate if I get into the groove of things and keep out of trouble. To really put this bad boy in perspective It sizes the case before it trims. If you put a decaping die ahead of the trimmer then it does that too...... Every time I pull the lever

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use a Dillon 1200 electric trimmer on a Dillon 650 progressive.

This is what I use also. 800-1000 is a good estimate if I get into the groove of things and keep out of trouble. To really put this bad boy in perspective It sizes the case before it trims. If you put a decaping die ahead of the trimmer then it does that too...... Every time I pull the lever

I just looked up the Dillon 1200 electric trimmer and it says it can be used on any type of press and is loaded just like a normal die. I guess you have to buy the timmer and then you have to buy the die for the caliber you want to trim. Does the trimmer just fit into the die and then you use your press like normal? Are you guys using the vacuum?

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just looked up the Dillon 1200 electric trimmer and it says it can be used on any type of press and is loaded just like a normal die. I guess you have to buy the timmer and then you have to buy the die for the caliber you want to trim. Does the trimmer just fit into the die and then you use your press like normal? Are you guys using the vacuum?

In addition to the trimmer you have to buy a die for every caliber you want to trim. The die mounts and gets setup like a sizing die and then the press goes on top of that. Kinda an expensive setup but man its easy and fast. The best part of the system is that the trim die also resizes the brass at the same time so it's really doing two jobs at once.

You don't have to use the vacuum the entire time you are trimming but at peast every 15 rounds or so if you are setup on a single stage press.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In addition to the trimmer you have to buy a die for every caliber you want to trim. The die mounts and gets setup like a sizing die and then the press goes on top of that. Kinda an expensive setup but man its easy and fast. The best part of the system is that the trim die also resizes the brass at the same time so it's really doing two jobs at once.

Lemme see if I got it right. I have a Hornady progressive that takes standard dies. I could buy their sizing die and install it on my progressive or a single stage. Does it chamfer/deburr also?

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has any of you owned or seen the RCBS power trimmer, Lyman trimmer and the Dillon operating?
It would be nice if we can compare.
I have several setups for trimming that I cannot recommend.
I need speed, life is too short to waste it trimming.
BTW, when loading 5.56mm I usually trim before sizing to .010" below the sized max length and it sizes within limits.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I use a possum hollow trimmer set up in an el cheapo drill press, takes 1-3 seconds per case.

I don't chamfer or deburr the cases. They get chunked back into the tumbler for a bit, this gets the real sharp corners off and allows me to load 55gr FMJBT bullets en masse just fine.

The quality brass gets the full treatment.

I have heard the Dillon trimmer uses such a sharp blade at high enough speed you don't need to chamfer or deburr either. Hopefully someone will chime in about that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom