where to buy a new or used hi point?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I honestly don't understand using these guns for range either, they're unreliable and inaccurate. Save some pennies and find a used Ruger P series or something of the like. Unless you just like wasting money.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yea i have. ive given it a lot of though and i figure i can plink around with this for awhile then maybe sell it when im ready or keep it for a messing around gun. i like a lot of guns. sigs. berettas. astra 9mm. paras. etc. etc. all types of calibers. im really not bias toward anything caliber wise. they can all kill. i think ill be fine with this for a little while. i dont even know if i really wanna carry or not.

Ok, so get a Kel-Tec. Same warranty, much easier to resell, available locally where you are, and the cost is very close to the HiPoint. I've bought and sold KTs with no problem... and I'm not embarrassed to carry a PF9 or P-11. My BUG is a Kel-Tec P3AT and it's a very reliable gun.

roachjuice

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I honestly don't understand using these guns for range either, they're unreliable and inaccurate. Save some pennies and find a used Ruger P series or something of the like. Unless you just like wasting money.

The only thing really wrong with them is the magazine from what I've read. Not the pistol. They catch the bullet in the front a little causing failure to feed. Nose diving the bullet while feeding if you will. Take a Pair of needle nose pliers and bend these two little tabs back a hair and it won't do that anymore. If you really want a smooth hi point polish the feed ramp as well. So how is it a waste of money? There are a few for 125 and have a lifetime warranty. Sounds like a deal to me. Their accuracy seems to be quite well. It's no custom shop high dollar gun but its not bad. If I don't like it I'll just sell it. I'm a very open minded person when it comes to guns.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've shot hi points and hate them. They make good tackle box guns and that's about it. You can make them 10x more reliable after modifying the mags. It's usually hit or miss if they're reliable out of the box or not. I've seen some than run like champs and others that are almost 1 shotters. I think someone even ran a hi-point in either a 3 gun match or uspsa match as a joke and it jammed every 3 rounds or so. The biggest reason why I hate them is the disassembly. It's a little bit of a pain.

As for accuracy, hi points are actually very accurate. It can keep up with a stock glock in terms of accuracy. To say that they're not accurate is a bit of an exaggeration... but then again, there's some 1911 guys who say that Glocks are inaccurate, rofl.

Overall, for $150 +/- it's hard to beat for the price. If it's all you can afford and you need a firearm now, then it's better than nothing. If you already own multiple firearms and just want a cheap toy, cool. However, if you don't own a pistol and you're not in dire need of one at this moment, I would argue that you should save a little more money and get something better. The resale value will be better and you will enjoy a gun that is probably better built, more ergonomic, lighter, and easier to clean and maintain.

roachjuice

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've shot hi points and hate them. They make good tackle box guns and that's about it. You can make them 10x more reliable after modifying the mags. It's usually hit or miss if they're reliable out of the box or not. I've seen some than run like champs and others that are almost 1 shotters. I think someone even ran a hi-point in either a 3 gun match or uspsa match as a joke and it jammed every 3 rounds or so. The biggest reason why I hate them is the disassembly. It's a little bit of a pain.

As for accuracy, hi points are actually very accurate. It can keep up with a stock glock in terms of accuracy. To say that they're not accurate is a bit of an exaggeration... but then again, there's some 1911 guys who say that Glocks are inaccurate, rofl.

Overall, for $150 +/- it's hard to beat for the price. If it's all you can afford and you need a firearm now, then it's better than nothing. If you already own multiple firearms and just want a cheap toy, cool. However, if you don't own a pistol and you're not in dire need of one at this moment, I would argue that you should save a little more money and get something better. The resale value will be better and you will enjoy a gun that is probably better built, more ergonomic, lighter, and easier to clean and maintain.
the disassembly on them IS a pain. they have some pressed in pin you have to knock out. i saw somewhere that someone took it out and tapped it to accept a screw. but he also modded the slide. looked like a big pain in the ass. i just feel that most people that rag on them do it because they bought something more expensive and never once shot a hi point. imo i think everyone should give one a try. see what you really think about them. they feel top heavy to me. shoot just fine. everyone is different and people have their preferences. to me shooting isnt about beauty or what a gun looks like. its how it performs. personally i like all types of guns. they are all pretty cool to me.
for the price i feel i cant go wrong with a hi point. im gonna call the shop in dewer today and see if they still have it. may even buy it today.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only thing really wrong with them is the magazine from what I've read. Not the pistol. They catch the bullet in the front a little causing failure to feed. Nose diving the bullet while feeding if you will. Take a Pair of needle nose pliers and bend these two little tabs back a hair and it won't do that anymore. If you really want a smooth hi point polish the feed ramp as well. So how is it a waste of money? There are a few for 125 and have a lifetime warranty. Sounds like a deal to me. Their accuracy seems to be quite well. It's no custom shop high dollar gun but its not bad. If I don't like it I'll just sell it. I'm a very open minded person when it comes to guns.

Don't be so open minded that your mind actually falls out. :D It's a waste of money because by my experiences they are junk..... all around. I've never seen one or shot one that ran right or be reasonably accurate (especially as accurate as a glock IMO), I'm sure there are a few but the ratio of junkers is too high for me. I've seen it several times where someone just has to pick one up because they are cheap and it ends up being a joke. Someone is much better served finding a used platform that is proven and that will last. But hey, it's your money...... if you don't shoot much or aren't using this for self defense, I doubt you'd ever notice the difference.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of my younger, buy-it-now, associates needed a gun "right now" and picked up a HP 380 a couple of years ago.

He wanted to try it out and came out the the farm. "What ammo should I buy"... Me, "they have a couple of brands of FMJ at Walmart- most guns run OK on ball ammo out of the box..."

He shows up with 40 rounds of Gold Dots.

We pin a couple of plates on the fence out back....He loads it up with the nearly $1 each bullets.

From 7 yards the gun cut a pretty tight group. He ran about $30 of the good stuff through it... and had a return to battery faliure or stovepipe in 25 cycles of 30 shots of the pistol.

He asked how to clean it... I told him it looked like he needed to drift that rolled pin out... and I had heard the slide would dribble the parts out if you did not hold it right on removal. That drew a blank look and one of those funny little shoulder shrugs you get from people who "dont get it".

I did get a chance to compare it for size against a couple of my handguns... way bigger and heavier than a SW 39-2, a lot fatter than a 1911... and a whale compared to a PPK.... those old Beretta 84/85 type guns in 380 were big- but very well built... as are the Browning BDA's but the High Point was obese when reconciled against the caliber it was built around.

Kiddo took the left over bullets - stuffed those in a magazine, stuck that in the gun- declared the deal "combat ready" and tossed in the glove box.

A month later he needed to pay the rent or something and got $50 for it at a pawn shop.

Last edited:

chr_edw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^ Someone called it the junk match but it worked.

I hate to admit it but I just looked at their 9mm carbine and for under $300 I might get one if I see one somewhere.

Latest posts

Top Bottom