Which gun for a fundraiser giveaway?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowlife

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In this case it’s a fundraiser for our church. I know that’s not a kid which generally is easy money. That’s why I’m seeking yalls help on ideas
A lot of what determines if I participate and how much I will pay for a raffle ticket is what the fundraiser is for. In this case it is for your church - so, for me to participate would highly depend on what kind of church it is. Not trying to be hateful but there are just some churches I would not be very passionate about helping raise money.

If it is for a fundraiser that is really justified in needing the money and I am supportive of the (in this case, church), I would and have way-way overpaid for a ticket, and in that case, I have even donated it back and said, "action it or run it again". If it is a church I would support, I would want to know what the money is going to be used for and then possibly why.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ham radio club I belong to raffled firearms the two years before Covid. First was a decent AR-15, second year was a Henry lever Golden Boy 22. Both were very successful. We made a deal with a local gun shop and when sales equaled actual cost plus tax, that $ was given to him for holding the firearm and we actually raffled off a certificate for the winner to go to that shop and he would act as the FFL to do the legal transfer.

We printed flyers of what our fundraiser was for and details of what we were raffling off, where and when and even if you do not buy tickets, come to our chili cookoff and sold tickets at 2/$10 5/$20. Initially we had some people balk at the low prices, but we made a huge profit on both with a small percentage that would have never bought any tickets if the pricing was higher at $20 or $40 each, but being so "inexpensive" it was hard to pass up for at a 2/$10 chance. Then we sold a lot more $20s and $40s and more because they were "getting a deal" with an extra tickets at 5/$20 or 10/$40. $100 guys are going to be $100 guys no mater what. We tried to make sure everyone was covered and happy.

Our sales were over about a 3 month period combined with a big deal chili cookoff fundraiser where we had the drawing which was a fun money maker also. Even most people on a tight budget who had bought only a few tickets earlier could afford to bring their kids or whoever and come to the chili cook off and attend the Saturday 1PM drawing also.

We did not have to have any $ up front. The FFL shop was open till 5PM after the Saturday 1PM drawing for pick up. If the winner was present at the Chili Cookoff, he could take the certificate down the street and do the paperwork to take home that day, or if not present he could pick up the certificate and firearm at the gun shop with proper ID at his leasure.

Good luck to you and your event.

Last edited:

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I might add, we put flyers in businesses and set up sales tables at the entrance of a few businesses on Saturdays and advertised we would be starting to sell tickets at 10AM the day of the chilicookoff and drawing right up till 12:29. A fun time was had by all.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You could get a variety of guns (or items) for the 3 --- all at about the same price point. 1st place would get the first pick, 2nd the second pick, 3rd the third. This way might draw more interest. Each winner would have a bigger chance to get the prize they actually wanted.

Best of luck with the endeavour!

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ham radio club I belong to raffled firearms the two years before Covid. First was a decent AR-15, second year was a Henry lever Golden Boy 22. Both were very successful. We made a deal with a local gun shop and when sales equaled actual cost plus tax, that $ was given to him for holding the firearm and we actually raffled off a certificate for the winner to go to that shop and he would act as the FFL to do the legal transfer.

We printed flyers of what our fundraiser was for and details of what we were raffling off, where and when and even if you do not buy tickets, come to our chili cookoff and sold tickets at 2/$10 5/$20. Initially we had some people balk at the low prices, but we made a huge profit on both with a small percentage that would have never bought any tickets if the pricing was higher at $20 or $40 each, but being so "inexpensive" it was hard to pass up for at a 2/$10 chance. Then we sold a lot more $20s and $40s and more because they were "getting a deal" with an extra tickets at 5/$20 or 10/$40. $100 guys are going to be $100 guys no mater what. We tried to make sure everyone was covered and happy.

Our sales were over about a 3 month period combined with a big deal chili cookoff fundraiser where we had the drawing which was a fun money maker also. Even most people on a tight budget who had bought only a few tickets earlier could afford to bring their kids or whoever and come to the chili cook off and attend the Saturday 1PM drawing also.

We did not have to have any $ up front. The FFL shop was open till 5PM after the Saturday 1PM drawing for pick up. If the winner was present at the Chili Cookoff, he could take the certificate down the street and do the paperwork to take home that day, or if not present he could pick up the certificate and firearm at the gun shop with proper ID at his leasure.

Good luck to you and your event.
Thank you. One of the members of the congregation has his FFL and will be doing our transfer to the winner. He also wants to donate the firearm. My underatanding is this will either be in conjunction with an estate sale we are doing or perhaps the team trap shoot/cake shoot we are trying to put together. Still have a lot of ducks to get in a row.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of what determines if I participate and how much I will pay for a raffle ticket is what the fundraiser is for. In this case it is for your church - so, for me to participate would highly depend on what kind of church it is. Not trying to be hateful but there are just some churches I would not be very passionate about helping raise money.

If it is for a fundraiser that is really justified in needing the money and I am supportive of the (in this case, church), I would and have way-way overpaid for a ticket, and in that case, I have even donated it back and said, "action it or run it again". If it is a church I would support, I would want to know what the money is going to be used for and then possibly why.
Ya, I wouldn’t expect to sell many of any tickets to people outside of our small community. I do believe they will be fairly understanding of our cause but most outside of that probably won’t. I wasn’t really soliciting selling here (yet) mainly just trying to see what the masses would really be fans of.

Now that all the vagueness is done, on another thread I mentioned that the Methodists church is going through a schism. The United Methodist church is moving away from the Bible and into social Justice standards. Because of the Bishops continually ignoring the church bylaws there was a decision that if a congregation wishes to leave the church and pursue a different denomination that chooses to follow the word of the Bible they may do so and keep their facilities. With penalties of course. We are a small country church, 43 active members, and are doing our best to figure out ways to raise the money to essentially buy our building and cemetery back. The congregation is giving what we can, and we have a great start, but it’s obvious that we have to tap our community somehow as those 43 members are only about 15 families.

Personally I’m really leaning into buying a browning citori or a beretta 686 and pushing for a $100 ticket. But I’m also a bit of a gun snob nowadays so idk if the masses would even like stuff like that

Latest posts

Top Bottom