Which Gun SHould I get?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lithiumokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pick up a used glock from someone on here for a great deal 350-400 bucks.. I would looks for a nice G23, spare mags and some ammo. You should be able to get into something like that for your price and have some left for your CCL and a nice holster.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like it's been stated before, stick with the top manufacturers and you'll be fine - Glock, Sig, HK, S&W, Colt, Springfield, Kahr, Ruger, CZ, etc. It just all really depends on what works best for you. Do you want a DA only, SA only or DA/SA? Do you want an external safety? Do you want a decocker? Do you want interchangeable grip backstraps? Which is more important, capacity or concealment? Single stack or double stack? Revolver or semi-auto?

There are so many good choices out there today, it's hard to go terribly wrong. You can do it, it's just harder to do these days.

If you have questions about specific brands/models, be sure to ask. There is a plethora of experience on this board.

Good luck, be safe, have fun.

kd5hrm

Marksman
Reaction score
Lots of manufacturers make lots of nice guns. The things that make a good carry gun don't always make a good target gun. For example, a 3 lb trigger on your target gun might be nice but some folks may not like that on their carry gun. Some target pistols have 10-inch barrels. Also not ideal for a gun if you carry it concealed. If you like the 1911s, you can get a full-size gun for target shooting and a compact for carry. You can get also get a .22 conversion kit and shoot cheaply with the same gun. Shooting the same thing all the time is also great way to become familiar with the gun.

CCM

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I highly recommend the Springfield XD45 compact. I've shot a few Glocks and never really liked the grip fit. The XD was a natural shooter for me. Good luck!

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you really wanted a 1911 I would look at some of the 4.25" and smaller models if you want to conceal it however for something quality that is also small you are almost always looking at higher dollars. if you could live with a standard 5" model look at a Rock Island Armory Tactical or you could even step it up to something made by Springfield, Smith&Wesson, Kimber(though I'd personally not buy Kimber), Maybe a Colt if you were willing to get into the $800 range.

RyanH

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info… Im in search of a 1911 with 4 inch barrel… Also I do believe Im buying a Glock 27 tomorrow also…

ptp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have come to the conclusion that no matter how much research you do, it is almost inevitable that you will change your mind in the near future. The first handgun I got was a Taurus .22. It was okay other than breaking every 500 rounds. Then I got a Springfield XD. It was a good gun but I decided that I didn't like the single action. I sold it and got a S&W .38 special. That was a good gun but it didn't come into my hand naturally and I wanted a little more power and rounds. Then I got the Walther P99c. It is big enough to handle 10+1 rounds but small enough to be comfortable. It points and shoots well - it just took a little while to find out what exactly I was looking for.

Latest posts

Top Bottom