Wildlife Dept. is gouging us now

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
J.T. sort of beat me to it. But ODWC gets no money from the state coffers. It all comes from licenses/fees/etc. They are self sustaining. That's one of the reasons I haven't bought a lifetime yet and probably won't.

They want you to buy a lifetime as not one dollar from the first license has ever been spent. It is invested and long after your dead, you will still be contributing to the wildlife of Okla. The day you die or move away from the state, you no longer contribute.
Its a great deal for the sportsmen and sportswomen of this state.

A.J.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You make a good point about the gas Kirk, but I was on my way to a CLEET school in my patrol car and passed right in front of Wally World anyway. FWIW, I consider Wally World a necessary evil. I hate it that 99% of the stuff they sell is Chinese.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They want you to buy a lifetime as not one dollar from the first license has ever been spent. It is invested and long after your dead, you will still be contributing to the wildlife of Okla. The day you die or move away from the state, you no longer contribute.
Its a great deal for the sportsmen and sportswomen of this state.

Good point. I didn't think about it from that angle.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I should have just kept my mouth shut.

short lesson - detailed link at the bottom. the Rule of 7 says a good investment will double every seven years. 750 today actually costs 1500 7 years down the road. averaged out at 215 per year, no one spends that on tags. Take into account death, injury, financial hardship, etc. all the way down to moving somewhere that hunting in Oklahoma was no longer convenient adds up to poor investment. If you get down to dirt-floor poor, that hunting license isn't worth the paper it's written on.
examples-If you had $30,000 invested and easily available, it does not make sense to take that money and buy a new truck if you can get financed for 4%. And a new truck has resale value if you needed the money for something else.
The same principal goes for paying in advance for your cable bill, there is no benefit. you don't get any interest, you are no longer liquid, and the money is non-transferable. No one here is willing to pay in advance for cable, and both things are a luxury.

That said, 750 is not a large enough amount to make an investment that would draw 10% interest. Doesn't change the principal, the math is sound. Gotta have little piles of money to make big piles of money.
Having a Lifetime is a great luxury. I wish someone would bought me one when I was a kid, and I plan on buying my son one. doesn't change the fact that it's not smart money.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compound_interest

I'm no Wall street financial adviser, this is basic finance. Starting to shed some light on why the biggest financial institutions are in ruin. If real life, work for a livin', down to earth Okies struggle with money value, no way east and west coast city folks understand it. That's a compliment, before anyone gets their panties in a twist.

I don't type this much at work. I'll remember to bit my tongue next time! I'm out, no more on this thread for me.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My lifetime paid for itself in 4.5 years.

I am in my 20's. If not for my lifetime, I would purchase a minimum of $172 a year in tags/licenses a year. Assuming I hunt for another 40 years (hopefully more), that is $6880 at the current tag prices, and that is not even accounting for inflation.

I have a buddy who bough his back when they cost 3 something, it pays for itself every 2 years now. There is your inflation factor at work.

The only 2 ways to possibly rationalize it being a bad investment is if you somehow added the cost of the lifetime into a super high yield investment that did really well, you stuck it in a slot machine or bought lottery tickets and got lucky, or if you die early and are no longer able to use it.

If you spend $775 on a lifetime today, assuming you buy $172 in tags and licenses (and I'm not even a turkey hunter....), 775/172 = 4.505. Four and one half years. In theory, you paid in advance for 4 1/2 years. After that time period, it begins paying you $172 a year.
Take into account inflation over 20-40 years, how much do you think a tag will cost? Lets just got with 1.5 times as a conservative guess. 20 years at the current prices would be $3440, and 20 years at 1.5*172 is $5160. As that to the previous years, that is $8660 on the conservative side, more likely the total would be much higher.

If I could pay in advance for my cable for 4.50 years, then receive it free the rest of my life regardless of inflation, I would consider it.

Besides, if one is THAT well invested and earnin' interest before dinner on pocket change from buying lunch, $775 should be butt-wipin' money to that person.:scratch:

Latest posts

Top Bottom