Wildlife Dept. is gouging us now

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Without giving a financial siminar on the time value of money, it is not economically sound business to pay for a lifetime license. More convenient by a mile, but all other factors would advise one against paying up front.

I'm all ears, sportsfan. I must have a different model calculator than you.

BTW, Trout stamp is not covered by a lifetime. Hope the reason for that is obvious enough.

I tend to worry more about our state lawmakers sneaking dumazz wildlife laws through than ODWC $3 "greed". But that's just me.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update: went to the basspro web site, and got this link. Its different than before, but I'll still check the billing adress on my card bill.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...eId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&appID=120

OK I see what you were talking about with bass pro charging your card in the past. Its been a few years but they made it where you buy your tags off the Oklahoma Depatment of Wildlife home page. I think they jumped on the band
wagon of online sales. So im pretty sure all the money stays in state. Anymore the tags I buy and print onlinelook just like
what you get from wal mart.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really don't get the Lifetime license thing. I got mine for $525 when I was 13-14 (somewhere around there). It has been paid for at least once probably closer to twice so far and I am only 23.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK I see what you were talking about with bass pro charging your card in the past. Its been a few years but they made it where you buy your tags off the Oklahoma Depatment of Wildlife home page. I think they jumped on the band
wagon of online sales. So im pretty sure all the money stays in state. Anymore the tags I buy and print onlinelook just like
what you get from wal mart.

Yeah, when it first started you could only do it by phone, and BP was who you called. They gave a confirmation # that you kept until a semi-waterproof license was sent to you. Now with it on the net, I'll bet it goes straight to ODW.
Credit card companies sihpon off 2% of each fee as well.

I've had my lifetime license since 1980. Cost $325. With all the deer, turkey I kill, plus, not having to pay the controlled hunt fees, etc, I'll bet I've saved myself several thousands of dollars.
Pretty easy to justify putting out that money up front in my opinion, even with what it costs today.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you think that buying a lifetime lic is a poor choice I want to see what calculator you are using.

I love it, my wife got it for me for my first fathers day...she is wonderful

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my lifetime hunting and fishing license has been one of the best buys ever!

only regret was not doing it sooner.... my deer hunting buddy purchased his when it was just over $300. told me that it was going up and to do the same.

that's about the time I started deer hunting, didn't realize how tags can add up. after racking up close to what I would have paid for the lifetime license... finally woke up and wanted a lifetime license.

by that time costs had gone up to $550.
have recouped those costs many time over. now a lifetime combo is $775.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$3 is not gouging. Sorry, it's just not.

Trillions in bailout... snooze.
Gas goes up $1/gallon... snooze.
Hundreds of billions in foreign aid... snooze.
Ammo gouging... snooze.
Taxes going up... snooze.
$3 fee to pay online naked at 3am?!!?!
[Broken External Image]

BRB driving 20 miles each way to Walmart so I can avoid the $3 gouging fee.
Oh, wait, that would run me $4 in gas. Thanks, ODWC! You saved me $1!

Reaction score
Well think about this - whether you think it's gouging or not, it *IS* weird.

What I mean is that it's 100% the opposite of how they do the HIP permit. On the HIP permit, it's FREE online, but $3 at Academy.

So why is it that the Trout stamp is $3 (more) online but FREE at Academy and elsewhere?

It's just very odd to me that they are polar opposites.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well think about this - whether you think it's gouging or not, it *IS* weird.

What I mean is that it's 100% the opposite of how they do the HIP permit. On the HIP permit, it's FREE online, but $3 at Academy.

So why is it that the Trout stamp is $3 (more) online but FREE at Academy and elsewhere?

It's just very odd to me that they are polar opposites.

HIP is federal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom