X-Bow shooting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcusR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been asking about which broadheads to use for my new crossbow. I purchased the Barnett DOA. I have been told to use fixed by one guy and to use mechanical by another. What are you guys using and what weights?

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some mechanicals have been known to open up upon launch of the arrow due to the excessive energy a x-bow imparts at that moment. That shouldn't be an issue any more with today's newer broadheads. But if it bothers you, just get some Thunderheads and be done with it.

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have Killed 8 deer with mine. From 80lb doe to 260lb nine point. I shot the first four using Muzzy MX3 100 grain broadheads and the last four using the Slick Trick basic 100 grain. Both performed Great. I would definitly get her sighted in with my field tips then put on a broadhead and see where she is at. Should be pretty close. You will need a target you can shoot both into. Once you have your broadheads flying where you want them you can replace the blades or resharpen and put them in your quiver. Do NOT put them in your quiver without doing so if you have shot them more than once into your target. They will dull quickly. After that I keep a old broadhead of the kind I am hunting with and shoot it every few days to make sure my rig is still on.
I repeat I have never had a hard time getting my broadheads to fly the same as my field points with a crossbow. If there is a big difference something is off. Also, make sure you dont buy cheap bolts. You gey what you pay for.

Shifty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont own a crossbow but out of my vertical bow, muzzy MX3s were WAY off from where my field points were. That being said, I went to a standard muzzy 3 blade (not the MX3) and they hit exactly the same place as the field points.

I went to the muzzy fixed blades after trying mechanicals. I had issues with them not opening properly on contact with game. Almost cost me a deer. The mechanicals I had problems with were the Rage 3 blade. The blades can get into one another when they open, keeping them from opening fully. The rage 2 blades would probably work fine tho, and theres lots of other mechanical designs that have killed alot of deer. I just like fixed, less to go wrong.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have only used what Excaliber recomends. Its the bolt cutter.
Excaliber believes a weight forward bolt is more accurate, and has the bolt cutter at 150 grains. I can't argue their recomendation as its a tack driver, and no deer taken with them has gone more than 50 yds.

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have only used what Excaliber recomends. Its the bolt cutter.
Excaliber believes a weight forward bolt is more accurate, and has the bolt cutter at 150 grains. I can't argue their recomendation as its a tack driver, and no deer taken with them has gone more than 50 yds.

They might be onto something. Slick Trick has come out with a crossbow broadhead. It weighs 175 grains. I will stick to what I have been sucessful with.

two-click

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot a Barnett too,I use NAAP spitfire mechanical Killed two deer last year a buck,6 pt and a doe both dropped within 35 yards

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rage 3 blade @ 100 grains have done the job on four deer for me in two years time. Lung shots on all of them and they were down w/ in 30 yards for three of them and 75 yds for one. Longest shot was 30-35 yards and she went down the quickest.

Goodluck this season!

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you feel inclined to use mechanicals (which I don't recommend) NAP Spitfires are one of the few that don't use bands and are less prone to opening in flight. TenPoint recommends them for their xbows.

I prefer a solid fixed blade cut on contact broadhead such as the Magnus Buzzcut.

Latest posts

Top Bottom