YOUR CAR/TRUCK IS SOON TO BE CONTROLLED BY .GOV

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For all those who say they drive a 40 year old vehicle, what are you going to do when the state refuses to renew he tag on it and the insurance companies refuse to insure?

Want to force everyone into a newer vehicle, well there ya go.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For all those who say they drive a 40 year old vehicle, what are you going to do when the state refuses to renew he tag on it and the insurance companies refuse to insure?

Want to force everyone into a newer vehicle, well there ya go.
Just do what half the people in OKC are already doing . . . no current tags and no insurance.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Obviously nanny state solutions suck, but we do need to take drunk driving more seriously.

I would support a Saudi style solution where we charge drunk driving as attempted murder and execute for first DUI conviction.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can name a couple of places (do I really have to :bah:).
Back in the day when I was a DIY'er I replaced the factory air filter set-up on my '64-Mercury Montego with an 'open element' filter with chrome top and fancy style of hold-down wingnut - something like this:

View attachment 423591

California Highway Patrol (CHP) pulled me over not long after for some minor traffic violation, and they also wrote me up for illegally "tampering with or modifying the Smog Control System" which I learned can include things like air filters and resulted in my car being impounded as being considered as no longer legal to drive on a public road.

Second place was in Manitou Springs, Colorado many years later, where during an annual Smog Certification on my '83(?)-Chevy Cavalier, the 'official' doing the certification failed to pass because I had changed the regular gas cap for an 'unapproved' locking model. Seems that my car had a 'closed-loop' fuel system which required a gas cap that sealed tight, and the locking one that I had installed, did not.

Lived in Oregon for a while and bought a low mile '94 TBird (1997 was the year). After I bought it I started modifying it, K & N air filter, removed the air conch for a more free flowing intake, even drilled numerous holes in the bottom of the air box. The coupe de tat, I dropped the Y exhaust and broke the ceramic out of the cats (this was the first week I owned it!) Really did wake up the 4.6 V8 a bit. Everything looked 100% stock. a week later I learned that they did a tailpipe test! I went to the DEQ (department of environmental quality) and in spite of all I had done, it passed! I could get rubber from 1st to 2nd no problem after the mods.

By the way, if it hadn't passed I would have been required to get all repairs done to make it compliant with Oregon DEQ standards. Once done another test, if it passes awesome, if it doesn't the car remains on the road.

Last edited:

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Obviously nanny state solutions suck, but we do need to take drunk driving more seriously.

I would support a Saudi style solution where we charge drunk driving as attempted murder and execute for first DUI conviction.
I suspect there would be a few members here we would no longer see.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We don't know for sure that emp would actually knock out car computers either. Cars do survive and run after lightning strikes...
Isn't the car engine and electronics surrounded by pretty much a solid steel enclosure (the body) which would act much like a Faraday Cage? If it required an Earth ground to operate effectively, then a simple grounding strap from the frame hanging down to the road surface should work. I know I used to see cars and some trucks back in the day with those 'grounding' straps underneath. Or am I just barking up the wrong tree?

Latest posts

Top Bottom