10/22 accuracy expectations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see a lot of discussion on the web about this, but what kind of groups can be expected from a factory 10/22 carbine (or any .22LR rifle, for that matter)?

I'm looking for an answer like "X inch, N-shot group at Y yards with a Z rifle using A brand ammo", NOT "great groups" or "tack driver". Exactly, how does it shoot?

Pics are always welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can check out This Post for my answer to a similar question (with pics).

When you say "any" 22LR, you are expanding the dynamic significantly. Realistic usable range for a .22 is up to about 50 yards. Optics will obviously improve accuracy over iron sights.

Shooting from a rest, an average .22 (with scope) shooting bulk high velocity ammo (value packs) is going to stay inside an inch at 25 yards (with the odd flyer), and 1 1/2 - 2" at 50 yards.

Custom barrels on a 10/22 will improve this. CZ makes some awesomely accurate .22's in the $400-$500 price range. You should be able to stay within a 1/4" inch at 25, and 1/2" at 50.

After that, you're looking at dedicated target rifles, or high-end .22's. $600 will get you a surplus Kimber 82G from the CMP, and into the "starter" Anschutz (64 action). Accuracy will be slightly better than what you'll get out of the CZ, and seen mostly in consistency. You need to be shooting standard velocity or dedicated target ammo for consistency, and you can hit within 1/4" at 50 yards at this point.

After that, you're just spending money for niceties. Anschutz 54 actions will run around $1200 and up. Coopers can run several thousand, depending on options. There's a point of diminishing returns, and you're not going to see much difference in everyday accuracy.

Finally, you get into big-money custom bench rest rifles, which are for competition. Guys who get into this game spend big money on target ammo, and even weigh each round to try to get max consistency.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Talo Ruger Race Rifle (black and brown laminate, NOT the USA Olympic team one), 100 yards, Remington Golden Bullet from prone. Leupold VX-I 3-9x40.

Fluke of luck? Maybe, but it's honest.

8 shots, 6 1" targets.

[Broken External Image]

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot an old Remington 550-1 that my dad bought when I was born - 50 years ago and with Winchester Super X ammo, it will shoot 5-shot 1" groups @ 50 yds. and 5-shot 2" groups at 100 yds.. This is when shot from a bench with a Harris Bi-Pod and sand bags. Scope is a Weaver 2X-10X-50mm...

D&T

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My 10-22 is stock except for a scope. Shooting Federal bulk pack ammo it will shoot about a 1/4-1/2 inch at 50yds. This is off a rest and with a 3x9x32 scope. With the stock sights I wouldnt expect that kind of accuracy. I have done nothing to this rifle except clean and shoot it.YMMV.These seem to be ready to go out of the box though.

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 10-22 is stock except for a scope. Shooting Federal bulk pack ammo it will shoot about a 1/4-1/2 inch at 50yds. This is off a rest and with a 3x9x32 scope. With the stock sights I wouldnt expect that kind of accuracy. I have done nothing to this rifle except clean and shoot it.YMMV.These seem to be ready to go out of the box though.

How are you measuring your groups?

Tele-Caster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine does 10 rounds inside an inch at 50 yards -provided that I am having success working against its crappy trigger. It is a "deluxe" version with checkered walnut stock that I got for Christmas 31 years ago. It now sports a factory stainless barrel, which had the breech face milled and chamber re-cut. It has a old Eagle muzzle brake on it for style points. 4-12X A.O. scope, too. Best accuracy from mine is with Winchester Wildcats. It shoots Mini-Mags slightly less well.

T-C

Latest posts

Top Bottom