1911 VS Glock - final showdown! Which one will keep shooting longer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which one will shoot longer out of the box?

• Glock

Votes: 58 70.7%

Votes: 24 29.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I still haven't seen a single new production 1911 Brand/Type mentioned that would run out of the box.

So far one made in 1917 on it's 4th barrel (and I am assuming at least 4th gunsmith trip) takes the cake - but I don't think you can buy one of those over the counter ...

I had a Taurus 1911AR. Fresh out of the box, no mods and it ram flawless. Fired every time, any ammo, didn't matter ball or hp and I didn't have to buy any high dollar mags. I used the 2 factory mags and a hand full of GI mags, never had a problem. Same as with my RIA compact 1911. The only onei ever had an issue with was my Colt. Taurus cost $550, RIA cost $425 and my colt was around $900. Out of my experience, I would take the Taurus or the RIA over the Colt due to my reliably and usage experience with those three.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a Taurus 1911AR. Fresh out of the box, no mods and it ram flawless. Fired every time, any ammo, didn't matter ball or hp and I didn't have to buy any high dollar mags. I used the 2 factory mags and a hand full of GI mags, never had a problem. Same as with my RIA compact 1911. The only onei ever had an issue with was my Colt. Taurus cost $550, RIA cost $425 and my colt was around $900. Out of my experience, I would take the Taurus or the RIA over the Colt due to my reliably and usage experience with those three.

In my personal experience - the only 1911 that did run out of the box was a Taurus, but nobody believes me. I fed it everything and anything trying to find "the load" for Bullseye matches - it just kept eating it and spitting out brass. The internet "hype" got to me and I got an effing Colt that took 6 months to run straight :nono2:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my personal experience - the only 1911 that did run out of the box was a Taurus, but nobody believes me. I fed it everything and anything trying to find "the load" for Bullseye matches - it just kept eating it and spitting out brass. The internet "hype" got to me and I got an effing Colt that took 6 months to run straight :nono2:

Funny, my Colt Rail Gun has digested over 4,500 JHP's without a single hiccup.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny, my Colt Rail Gun has digested over 4,500 JHP's without a single hiccup.

Doesn't count!! I dun saw it at a match once dat a Colt failed! So all Colts are unreliable. Therefore... all 1911s are unreliable. How much duz dat Colt cost anyways?

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not all Glocks work....... just ask several police depts.

With that logic 1911 don't work at all - ask ANY police department.

Doesn't count!! I dun saw it at a match once dat a Colt failed! So all Colts are unreliable. Therefore... all 1911s are unreliable. How much duz dat Colt cost anyways?

Of course it counts - that's why there is an open poll with counted votes! But I guess 1911-fan-boys are so insecure, that even if Glocktogo gives praises to 1911 you still have to make excuses.

P.S. Day before yesterday, at H&H there was only 4 stages, there were only 10 people per squad, there was only one single stack in a squad ... guess what pistol spit out a mag on reload :P How about dem apples? You keep shooting crap at a keyboard and I'll keep shooting matches - we can compare notes later.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With that logic 1911 don't work at all - ask ANY police department.

Of course it counts - that's why there is an open poll with counted votes! But I guess 1911-fan-boys are so insecure, that even if Glocktogo gives praises to 1911 you still have to make excuses.

P.S. Day before yesterday, at H&H there was only 4 stages, there were only 10 people per squad, there was only one single stack in a squad ... guess what pistol spit out a mag on reload :P How about dem apples? You keep shooting crap at a keyboard and I'll keep shooting matches - we can compare notes later.

The FBI HRT seems to be doing just fine with their 1911s and they put more downrange than a vast majority. Not really apples to apples here though, to point out the obvious, as many PD's don't try to employ quality 1911 platforms due to cost. I get that, as it's a numbers game.

Don't confuse insecurity with dispelling ignorance. :D I own both Glocks and 1911s, I've just shot enough of them to realize what either can do.

I get the false sense of superiority of shooting matches thing, I really do. (of which you are probably shooting cardboard too BTW) Lots of guys get a big head about this platform or that one when they take themselves a bit too seriously in competition. Been there, done that. Even saw GTG run a REVOLVER more than a few years ago at a few matches in which it was kind of disheartening to watch him smoke guys with Glock. Impressive to say the least. Pretty sure it was him anyways.

IIRC, I've seen 4-5 1911s run just fine in couple of 2-day courses where we ran at LEAST 1000 rounds, one we went through 1500rds. I'll guarantee this was a bit more involved than some of the little competitions they have at H&H. Only one had a problem and it was a officer sized Kimber that was switched out after the first few hours, within that I freely admit micro 1911s almost have to be custom due to the significant variances from the original design. In which one glock did have issues too, in all fairness, I don't think the glock was stock.

Last edited:

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
All you ding-dongs that got sucked into this worthless vortex. It's all about preference and and knowing your gun and its limitations.

Who gives a **** how many rounds one personally had without an FTE... How many were going from a 9mm to a 45 and "limp-wristing"?
"My gun will eat any ammo you put in it" .... Shoot what you carry and carry what you shoot.
"My gun will shoot dirty after 1200 rounds" ... Take pride, clean your gear. I like cleaning my pistols as much as I like shooting them.

I guarantee everyone on here that has a preference and had a bad experience either way or "knew someone"... Chances are it was at least partially user error.

My preference is 1911. Sure I know that it may not stand toe to toe through 10,000 rounds firing dirty and under water... But I know the limitations. I clean it more often. Every time I go to the range I got to the range I put through at least a mag or two of the carry ammo I use just to make sure. I have owned 2 glocks and never had an issue, just didn't like the feel in the hand and I did not like the trigger. I have owned 4 1911s with no problems, but again, I keep them clean, I don't use crap ammo and I change the springs when suggested. It is the price I pay because I love the way the 1911 shoots. Everything from the way it fits in MY hand to the best trigger-pull on the planet.

Simple. know your gun, take care of it, practice. and you will have the best gun for YOU. If you want to buy marketing then go ahead....

Latest posts

Top Bottom