1911 VS Glock - final showdown! Which one will keep shooting longer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which one will shoot longer out of the box?

• Glock

Votes: 58 70.7%

Votes: 24 29.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a Kimber TLE RL II for quite a while. Finally sold it to a friend who really liked it.

Could NOT get it to run, even after a trip back to the factory. A guy at the Tulsa Gun Show told me it was a magazine issue, and that Wilson Combat or Mec Gar was the way to go.

Bought one of each, and the gun became completely reliable. I believe the followers, which are the non tilting variety, were the factor that fixed the problem.

At an H&H expo before I found the answer, the Kimber rep told me it had to go back to the factory. They altered the ejection port, changed all the springs, and I think did something else. Didn't help much.

A year later the same rep was back and I told him about finding the mags that solved the problem. He promptly pulled out a Kimber mag and told me they had done something similar and that the new ones run just fine. I asked how much and he told me, I think, about forty bucks. So I said "I gotta spend 40 bucks to have a mag with your name on it?" He said "put it in your pocket and have a nice day." I thanked him heartily.

As to how long Glocks will endure, there is a retired cop from the NYPD who has hundreds of thousands of rounds through his original 17 and it was still going strong last I heard.

As to 3K rounds, I wouldn't bet the whole farm on the Glock, but I wouldn't bet a garden patch on the 1911 for twice the price.

Oh--to whoever above who has a $500 WW II bringback, find me some of those please . . .

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I still haven't seen a single new production 1911 Brand/Type mentioned that would run out of the box.

So far one made in 1917 on it's 4th barrel (and I am assuming at least 4th gunsmith trip) takes the cake - but I don't think you can buy one of those over the counter ...

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I still haven't seen a single new production 1911 Brand/Type mentioned that would run out of the box.

So far one made in 1917 on it's 4th barrel (and I am assuming at least 4th gunsmith trip) takes the cake - but I don't think you can buy one of those over the counter ...

my ruger sr1911 has had ~2,000 rounds (honestly lost count a long time ago) through it of various quality from garbage steel cased to defense hollow points without a single failure of any kind WITH factory mags. I know in the general scheme of things 2,000 rounds isnt a great amount but still across the board they tend to have solid reviews. They also come with a lifetime waranty no mater how many times the gun has been sold or traded.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my ruger sr1911 has had ~2,000 rounds (honestly lost count a long time ago) through it of various quality from garbage steel cased to defense hollow points without a single failure of any kind WITH factory mags. I know in the general scheme of things 2,000 rounds isnt a great amount but still across the board they tend to have solid reviews. They also come with a lifetime waranty no mater how many times the gun has been sold or traded.

Everyone does realize this is 1k rounds, or until one quits...?....right.....bring your xtra mags

Latest posts

Top Bottom