.223 is it worth getting a bolt-action?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

RedRiverRifleman

YAsY This is a continuation of my first topic that I had posted about entry ARs. My first thought on a more precision weapon (bolt-action) after purchasing my AR ( thank you for your continuing opinions and comments, forum members),was a thought that I could get one chambered to a .223 to save on ammunition. My question is should I go with a .223 or a more powerful .300 or .308?

R

RedRiverRifleman

Well I want to try my hand at long-range sport shooting down there in Claremore. I lived in Alaska while I was younger and I miss my old 30-06 that I could take reindeer down from some distance. I want to know that distance.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.223 will not have the range of a .308 or 30-06. However inside of probably 300-400 yards a .223 bolt action with a heavy barrel should be plenty accurate.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For fun medium range plinking (300+/- yards) a .223 would be OK. As for a bolt action, the AR would be funner and if built right can be just as accurate at those distances. You could probably find a decent bolt gun cheaper though.
If your looking at longer ranges I bump it up. If your not recoil sensitive, I'd buck up to a .300WM. If you are recoil shy, the .308 is a fine choice.

Sanjuancb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know about the competition, but a light .223 bolt action is a pleasure to carry in the field. One of my buddies has a CZ 527 in .223 Remington and it handles fantastically and shoots very well. I like them for stalking rifles A LOT.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
.223 is used succesfully against .308 at 600yds and even out to 1000yds. Trickier to shoot, maybe, but capable. If you want the ammo commonality, go for it. Unless you get a custom built, or get really taken buying a gun, you likely will lose little if any money if you decide later to move up. And if you do, unless you are wanting to compete in something that requires .308, there are better long range calibers for that too. .243 Win is an excellent all around cartridge, especially in OK. With the right shooter and gun, it can compete (and win) against .308 at any distance, is great for any game in OK, and is lighter recoiling.

R

RedRiverRifleman

.223 is used succesfully against .308 at 600yds and even out to 1000yds. Trickier to shoot, maybe, but capable. If you want the ammo commonality, go for it. Unless you get a custom built, or get really taken buying a gun, you likely will lose little if any money if you decide later to move up. And if you do, unless you are wanting to compete in something that requires .308, there are better long range calibers for that too. .243 Win is an excellent all around cartridge, especially in OK. With the right shooter and gun, it can compete (and win) against .308 at any distance, is great for any game in OK, and is lighter recoiling.
Thank you for your comments. I will probably upgrade soon after my first AR

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't see the reason for going with a bolt gun for precision work, unless you really are on a tight budget. This is my latest 5 shot group out of my "long range precision" AR. For me about 400 yards is max for a .223, effectively against anything living. This was 100 yards with a 1-4X scope off of a bipod. I'm sure that group could be tightened with a higher power scope and sandbags.

[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom