.223 is it worth getting a bolt-action?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got to thinking. If you get an AR, it will likely be chambered in 5.56 x 45 and a bolt gun chambered in .223 will not be able to use any surplus 5.56 ammo. The AR would however be able to shoot any .223 ammo.

R

RedRiverRifleman

I don't see the reason for going with a bolt gun for precision work, unless you really are on a tight budget. This is my latest 5 shot group out of my "long range precision" AR. For me about 400 yards is max for a .223, effectively against anything living. This was 100 yards with a 1-4X scope off of a bipod. I'm sure that group could be tightened with a higher power scope and sandbags.

[Broken External Image]
Would the effective range of the .223 be heightened if fired from a bolt action?

AllOut,
We all gotta do something in this economy

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got to thinking. If you get an AR, it will likely be chambered in 5.56 x 45 and a bolt gun chambered in .223 will not be able to use any surplus 5.56 ammo. The AR would however be able to shoot any .223 ammo.

Not exactly true. Some AR's are chambered in .223. Some are chambered in 5.56. I get mine chambered in Wylde.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would the effective range of the .223 be heightened if fired from a bolt action?

AllOut,
We all gotta do something in this economy

Are you suggesting the max range would increase because of higher velocity or greater accuracy? I haven't seen anything that confirms any significant velocity increases from using a bolt action. It's barrel length that matters.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you already have AR in 223 - you'll never shoot the turn gun, no matter how novel the idea sounds.

Get something with a bit (or a whole bunch) more go-go in a bolt gun.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
doctorjj said:
Not exactly true. Some AR's are chambered in .223. Some are chambered in 5.56. I get mine chambered in Wylde.

I know that some are chambered for .223 but the large majority of ARs are in 5.56.

What is the difference in the Wylde chambering compared to a 5.56? Seen it and have been curious as to the advantages of the Wylde.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you already have AR in 223 - you'll never shoot the turn gun, no matter how novel the idea sounds.

Get something with a bit (or a whole bunch) more go-go in a bolt gun.

This.

Also, if you want to shoot above 300-400yds with a .223 in any sort of wind at all (and the last few years, it feels like friggin Kansas around here) then I wouldn't go with .223. Even a larger 75gr .223 bullet is way more susceptible to movement from wind than say a smaller 150gr .308 bullet.

I'm personally a fan of .308, but it has it's limitations as well. To me .308 is the perfect combination of accuracy, support/knowledge, price, and recoil.

If you want to shoot match-grade ammunition, then you're going to spend more than your average .223 price. Anything with the word "match" next to it and in larger than 55gr is going to cost you almost as much as what .308 Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr MatchKing BTHP's are going to cost you.

If you reload, you might save a few pennies per round, but you're still not talking the price of Mil-Surp or bulk-ammo from online if you want the accurate stuff.

When we plink with .223/ARs and stretch it out, the cheap stuff does just fine, but we're not trying to make groups at 300-400yds, just banging steel. With the AR platform, a good barrel and decent trigger control can make for easy groups at ~300yds with even some of the cheaper ammo. It's when you go much beyond that distance that it gets a little harder but it's still possible with the right setup/training/ammo.

Me personally, I'd stick with an AR or go to a bolt-gun in a different caliber. ARs are more than accurate enough for most plinking and you can learn the basics out to ~300yds while you think about what you want to do when you get ready to stretch it out further.

As to the difference between .223/5.56/Wylde, here's a long-winded technical doc:

http://www.armalite.com/images/Tech Notes/TECH NOTE 74 5.56 vs 223 vs Wylde 090817 Rev 0.pdf

R

RedRiverRifleman

Okay. 1. So if I get a AR in .223 it doesn't necessarily use the same ammo as bolt-action .223.
2. If I want distance and precision go with a higher caliber.
3. Go with something like a Ruger Mini-14 if I want cross-compatibility.
Last thing...what's the hype of a .223 Wylde?
Really new to modern firearms..could use some advice.

R

RedRiverRifleman

This.

Also, if you want to shoot above 300-400yds with a .223 in any sort of wind at all (and the last few years, it feels like friggin Kansas around here) then I wouldn't go with .223. Even a larger 75gr .223 bullet is way more susceptible to movement from wind than say a smaller 150gr .308 bullet.

I'm personally a fan of .308, but it has it's limitations as well. To me .308 is the perfect combination of accuracy, support/knowledge, price, and recoil.

If you want to shoot match-grade ammunition, then you're going to spend more than your average .223 price. Anything with the word "match" next to it and in larger than 55gr is going to cost you almost as much as what .308 Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr MatchKing BTHP's are going to cost you.

If you reload, you might save a few pennies per round, but you're still not talking the price of Mil-Surp or bulk-ammo from online if you want the accurate stuff.

When we plink with .223/ARs and stretch it out, the cheap stuff does just fine, but we're not trying to make groups at 300-400yds, just banging steel. With the AR platform, a good barrel and decent trigger control can make for easy groups at ~300yds with even some of the cheaper ammo. It's when you go much beyond that distance that it gets a little harder but it's still possible with the right setup/training/ammo.

Me personally, I'd stick with an AR or go to a bolt-gun in a different caliber. ARs are more than accurate enough for most plinking and you can learn the basics out to ~300yds while you think about what you want to do when you get ready to stretch it out further.

As to the difference between .223/5.56/Wylde, here's a long-winded technical doc:

http://www.armalite.com/images/Tech Notes/TECH NOTE 74 5.56 vs 223 vs Wylde 090817 Rev 0.pdf

Hilarious about the wind. Very true lately.

Latest posts

Top Bottom