.223 is it worth getting a bolt-action?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay. 1. So if I get a AR in .223 it doesn't necessarily use the same ammo as bolt-action .223.
2. If I want distance and precision go with a higher caliber.
3. Go with something like a Ruger Mini-14 if I want cross-compatibility.
Last thing...what's the hype of a .223 Wylde?
Really new to modern firearms..could use some advice.

An AR-15 chambered in 5.56 NATO will allow you to shoot .223 through it all day. A lot of times though, you can find 5.56 ammo for cheaper and it will shoot through an AR (or any rifle for that matter) chambered in 5.56 NATO, but you can't shoot it through a gun chambered for only .223. All AR-15s aren't chambered for 5.56 though (should be on the barrel).

Technically, the extra space in a 5.56 chamber can cause inaccuracy or inconsistency when firing .223 out of it, but I've not ever experienced this (but again, I don't attempt to make groups at great distances with my ARs, that's what I have my bolt-guns for :D ).

I'm not sure what you mean by cross-compatibility, but I wouldn't get a Mini-14 over an AR - especially since gone are the days of picking up a Mini for $250. At current prices for a Mini, you're very close (if not already at) AR-15 prices and you've got tons more options in the AR world (barrels, sights, mounts, stocks, magazines, trigger-parts, etc.).

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
AR in .223 = same caliber as bolt action in .223. Period.

What the gun is makes no difference in the chambering. The difference is if you get a 5.56x45 NATO AR-15 and a .223 Rem bolt action gun.

.223 Rem in a 5.56 NATO chamber = good.

5.56 NATO in a .223 Rem gun = not good. (for the most part)

.223 Wylde is offered in a lot of competition guns, especially stainless steel barrels. The point of it is that it is almost an exact split in the already small differences between .223 Rem and 5.56 NATO. What this means is that it will shoot both, supposedly more accurately than a 5.56 NATO chamber (which also shoots both).

I wouldn't pay extra for a Wylde chambered barrel, but I would choose it over a .223 Rem barrel, all else equal.

EZBake is right, if you want to shoot long range precision, get a .308. If you are willing to load yourself, then the options on what caliber to get is unlimited. If you want Walmart availability for ammo, and want long range accuracy capability, the look at .30-06 and .243 also.

However, I disagree with EZ Bake on the savings with reloading. That is another thread's topic though.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
However, I disagree with EZ Bake on the savings with reloading. That is another thread's topic though.

Well - I meant when reloading .223 vs reloading .308 and to be fair, it's been a really long time since I looked into reloading costs (I still don't reload - too lazy and too much else going on right now, but when we get moved into our new place, I might start down that path again) so I'll have to differ to Nikat - your opinion is good enough for me man :)

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
YAsY This is a continuation of my first topic that I had posted about entry ARs. My first thought on a more precision weapon (bolt-action) after purchasing my AR ( thank you for your continuing opinions and comments, forum members),was a thought that I could get one chambered to a .223 to save on ammunition. My question is should I go with a .223 or a more powerful .300 or .308?
IMO one of each would be nice.

J

Jckellison

I know the very small case difference between 223 and 556, but I always understood a 556 round was exerting a great deal more force in the chamber. A hotter load if you will due to the powder difference. 223 using the precise "stick" type of powder, where as 556 is generally loaded with round ball powder, hence the 5.56 NATO Ball cartridge.

Due to the powder load/type difference, when shooting 556 in a 223 chamber, there's always a risk of the chamber failing, ie: exploding due to the higher force.

There's a lot out there to back up te belief, and an equal amount arguing it. I just happen to believe the research.

As far as a choice between 222/308, both are great cartridges, but there are much higher ballistic coefficients in other like rounds... Just not as regularly available. Like te 22-250, 25-06 in that 22-ish caliber with not as much ammunition choice, but as they become more popular, both rounds are normally available at my one horse town local walmart and hardware store.

308 is ballistically greater, and much more accurate than a 30-06, but a .338 Lapua will make easy work of anything within 1200 yds, with a possible effective range beyond 1900 yds... But with a great round comes a great cost.

If you were wanting to start shooting at range, but not sure where to start, you might start small and work on your fundamentals first. Breath control, fire and trigger control, ect... There's nothing more fun than a 10/22. Its a standard in most safes, a great "training" platform, and every shooter can testify to that.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know the very small case difference between 223 and 556, but I always understood a 556 round was exerting a great deal more force in the chamber. A hotter load if you will due to the powder difference. 223 using the precise "stick" type of powder, where as 556 is generally loaded with round ball powder, hence the 5.56 NATO Ball cartridge.

Due to the powder load/type difference, when shooting 556 in a 223 chamber, there's always a risk of the chamber failing, ie: exploding due to the higher force.

There's a lot out there to back up te belief, and an equal amount arguing it. I just happen to believe the research.

As far as a choice between 222/308, both are great cartridges, but there are much higher ballistic coefficients in other like rounds... Just not as regularly available. Like te 22-250, 25-06 in that 22-ish caliber with not as much ammunition choice, but as they become more popular, both rounds are normally available at my one horse town local walmart and hardware store.

308 is ballistically greater, and much more accurate than a 30-06, but a .338 Lapua will make easy work of anything within 1200 yds, with a possible effective range beyond 1900 yds... But with a great round comes a great cost.

If you were wanting to start shooting at range, but not sure where to start, you might start small and work on your fundamentals first. Breath control, fire and trigger control, ect... There's nothing more fun than a 10/22. Its a standard in most safes, a great "training" platform, and every shooter can testify to that.

You're 100% right about everything in this post! Oh wait no you're completely wrong.
This post reminds me about that scene in Billy Madison.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So has any one seen 5.56 ammo that actually jams the 223 throat ... or it's just fun to repeat theoretical rhetoric? And what's the worst case scenario - flat primer?

And they are worried about bullet jump in a varmint round (223 in NATO chamber) - seriously? AFAIK it's is the least important part of accuracy equation.

Last edited:

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So has any one seen 5.56 ammo that actually jams the 223 throat ... or it's just fun to repeat theoretical rhetoric? And what's the worst case scenario - flat primer?

And they are worried about bullet jump in a varmint round (223 in NATO chamber) - seriously? AFAIK it's is the least important part of accuracy equation.

Actually, SAAMI (Sporting Arms and Ammuntion Manufacturers Institute) considers 5.56mm ammo in a .223 Rem chamber to be an un-safe combination (see page 7 in this link: http://www.saami.org/specifications...1-Unsafe_Arms_and_Ammunition_Combinations.pdf). That is all the reason I need. I know several folks will jump in and say they have been shooting 5.56 in .223 chambers for years without any problems, but that doesn't mean it is safe. I know a lot of folks who speed, run stop signs/lights and text while driving and nothing has happened to them yet, but that doesn't mean that is safe either.

Latest posts

Top Bottom