.223 is it worth getting a bolt-action?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know the very small case difference between 223 and 556, but I always understood a 556 round was exerting a great deal more force in the chamber. A hotter load if you will due to the powder difference. 223 using the precise "stick" type of powder, where as 556 is generally loaded with round ball powder, hence the 5.56 NATO Ball cartridge.

:pms2: Now that is funny right there.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Well - I meant when reloading .223 vs reloading .308 and to be fair, it's been a really long time since I looked into reloading costs (I still don't reload - too lazy and too much else going on right now, but when we get moved into our new place, I might start down that path again) so I'll have to differ to Nikat - your opinion is good enough for me man :)

Depends what you're loading for. If you don't shoot much, and what you do shoot is bulk available mil-type ammo, then no, it probably wouldn't be worth reloading. For accuracy, it gets worth it fast, depending on how you value your time. I totally understand being too busy to reload. I didn't get back into it for over a year and a half after moving down here from Stillwater.

So has any one seen 5.56 ammo that actually jams the 223 throat ... or it's just fun to repeat theoretical rhetoric? And what's the worst case scenario - flat primer?

And they are worried about bullet jump in a varmint round (223 in NATO chamber) - seriously? AFAIK it's is the least important part of accuracy equation.

I'd bet 99% of the time, no problem. Especially since in most guns that are chambered for .223, they are also offered in larger higher pressure rounds anyways. So the chance of a KaBoom is super low, in those guns.

At the same time, I can't in good faith recommend someone else shoot a caliber in their gun that it is technically not rated for. *CAR beat me to it*

As far as the accuracy, notice the "supposedly," in there. I guess I should have bolded/italicized that word. That's what the internet claims, but I haven't tested enough to verify one way or the other, and haven't really researched on other's first hand experience with both.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends what you're loading for. If you don't shoot much, and what you do shoot is bulk available mil-type ammo, then no, it probably wouldn't be worth reloading. For accuracy, it gets worth it fast, depending on how you value your time. I totally understand being too busy to reload. I didn't get back into it for over a year and a half after moving down here from Stillwater.

Well now you've got me curious (I'm thinking of building a precision AR for my daughter so now I'll have two different calibers that I need "good" ammo for).

I can buy Fed Gold Medal Match 168gr .308 for $.89/rnd, and can find Fed GMM 69gr .223 for about the same on sale. You're saying that I can reload match-quality .223 for a lot cheaper than I can reload match-quality .308 (or that I can just reload either round cheaper than I can buy them)?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Well now you've got me curious (I'm thinking of building a precision AR for my daughter so now I'll have two different calibers that I need "good" ammo for).

I can buy Fed Gold Medal Match 168gr .308 for $.89/rnd, and can find Fed GMM 69gr .223 for about the same on sale. You're saying that I can reload match-quality .223 for a lot cheaper than I can reload match-quality .308 (or that I can just reload either round cheaper than I can buy them)?

Both.

Bullets for .223 are quite a bit cheaper than .308 - from what I see, price corresponds to weight of bullet, to an extent. Bigger bullet = bigger $$$. For pistols, powder is near negligible (~0.01$), not so for rifles, and .308 has more capacity than .223. Brass is also more expensive for .308.

My figgers:

.223 Match - $324.59 / 1000
Rem brass - New - Figure you can use it 6 times. $25.73/100 / 6 or $42.88 / 1000
Fed SRM Primers. $30 / 1000
Hodgdon H4895 powder. $66.80 / 1000
Sierra 69gr SMK bullets. $184.90 / 1000

.308 Match - $559.27 / 1000
Rem brass - New - Figure you can use it 6 times. $20.01/50 / 6 or $66.70 / 1000
Fed LRM Primers. $30 / 1000
Hodgdon CFE 223 powder. $120.67 / 1000
Sierra 168gr SMK bullets. $341.90 / 1000

J

Jckellison

So is 9mm NATO Flake loaded with flake powder? lol

Ball powder, almost exclusively used by militaries around the world, because it's cheaper to produce and burns a lot faster than extruded/stick powder, which is why a same weight powder measure will produce higher pressures. Hence, why military surplus ammo is called "ball ammo." throughout the years it has become a looser term for fmj/cheaper ammo.

But being a good sport, feel free to participate and correct my mistakes. I'm always up for an education.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ball powder, almost exclusively used by militaries around the world, because it's cheaper to produce and burns a lot faster than extruded/stick powder, which is why a same weight powder measure will produce higher pressures. Hence, why military surplus ammo is called "ball ammo." throughout the years it has become a looser term for fmj/cheaper ammo.

But being a good sport, feel free to participate and correct my mistakes. I'm always up for an education.

www.8bitbrigade.com_images_smilies_954_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This may sound dumb but i thought it was called ball ammo because its Full metal jacket. Like there is light ball and heavy ball depending on bullet weight. I didnt think it had anything to do with the powder used.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This may sound dumb but i thought it was called ball ammo because its Full metal jacket. Like there is light ball and heavy ball depending on bullet weight. I didnt think it had anything to do with the powder used.

You thought correctly. A "ball" round is a non-expanding projectile like military FMJ. It is a left over term from the musket days when they were actually round balls.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is what I found......

To the best of my knowledge "Ball Ammo" only refers to FMJ(Full Metal Jacket) rounds used by the military.

Later: I stand "somewhat" corrected

http://www.civic.bev.net/shawnee/ammo.ht…
>A glossary of ammunition terns<

Ball - comes from the French word "Balle"

Ball is also a leftover term from the old days when lead balls were used.

>Ball Ammo<
"Once" almost exclusively a military term, it is now frequently used in a civilian context as well: It means "A bullet that is solid or non-expanding in nature.

Ball ammo in rifles "usually" means FMJ

In handgun cartridges the term "may" include solid lead bullets

Latest posts

Top Bottom