A Review of the S&W Model 681

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtngunr

Marksman
Reaction score
I heard a story about boring out a .38 spl. cylinder to accept .357 magnum cartridges back in the 1980’s. I was just getting into pistol shooting/competing back then and was shocked/confused by this. I mentioned something about “but what about the heat treatment to accept magnum pressures?”, the more experienced shooters present just smiled, nodding their heads.
When the 19 first came out, the superior steel and heat treat was a fact...but, 10-15yrs later, such better steel and heat treat may have been done across the board, such is technological and manufacturing change. It still leaves most .38Spl cylinders too short for anything but lighter bullets in magnum brass, while seating the heavier bullets maybe the required hair deeper with magnum loads could raise pressure enough to test that steel and heat treat hypothesis. I try not to play too much past known things when holding explosives. A different matter in larger diameter and thicker walled cylinders of N-frame or Ruger diameter. Would not want to take much chance in even an L-frame cylinder, which is smaller diameter than even the old model Blackhawk .357 cylinder, which could be bored out to .44Spl while the L-frame was only large enough for a 5-shooter in same caliber. I think the J-frame cylinder (not frame) is even stronger than the K-frame, it thicker walled and locking notches offset from thinnest point, unlike the K-frame. The notches are where cylinders intially bulge and then blow.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My favorite 681

Attachments

• IMG_7359.jpeg
    IMG_7359.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0

mtngunr

Marksman
Reaction score
I was never a fan of the L frame but it is a yeoman's revolver . I was always a Model 19 guy and feel its the perfect revolver for carry .
No argument there....perfect for carry, and beat the N-frame .357 handily for that. But not the gun for high volume .357 shooting, where the N-frame best for that IF you can reach the trigger and still have a solid hold. The 681 coolness is the great grip duping K-frame goodness, durability with sustained .357 shooting. and easier on the shooter doing that due to increased weight up front....calling one or the other better is like carpenters arguing over whether a hammer or saw is better. They both are most excellent for their respective purposes.

mtngunr

Marksman
Reaction score
My personal reasons for adoring the 681 would be I love the forged and machined S&W dense stainless which takes a wonderful finish and resists deep pitting corrosion better than cast stainless with flow additives. It also a smoother and more handfitted action than others...

But, primarily it is because I love larger S&W fixed sight guns but was cursed at birth with large palms and stubby fingers, and no matter whether the .44 Hand Ejector, M1917 or .38/44 Heavy Duty, I just could not shoot the things and they went away. The L-frame 681 is as close as I can come to big ol' Smiffs and it chambers an equally potent classic round.

Was just again shooting it this morning with its favorite 1300fps+ true velocity 158gr SJHPs, and it is a shooter, probably better than the best effort 1.25"/25yds my aging eyes can muster, with average running more like 1.5".

Guy showed up as I finished up, and said, "Nice sounding revolver," then saw the retrieved target and added, "Nice shooting, too!".

Yep....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom