Advice On An Economically Friendly 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nate76

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Even Ruger has come out with a 1911. I have never handled a 1911 other than GI, Colt and Kimber so I have no input on "economically friendly" 1911s. I have to agree that good mags are important and once you get your pistol there may be alterations you wish to make. Get the pistol in your budget and enjoy it.

http://ruger.com/products/sr1911/models.html

I'm definately keeping an eye on these. With a $799 MSRP, I'm thinking they will be down in the $650 range in a few months.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was buying my first 1911 I narrowed it down to two. A Springfield 1911 or the RIA 1911. They were the only two companies that seem to stand behind their product with a lifetime warranty in my price range.

I decided to get both. I started with a SA Champion and moved up to a SA Mil-Spec stainless. Still feeling the fever I bought a RIA CS because it already had the ejection port lowered and flared and the beaver tail safety included for 406.00 plus tax. The comfort of knowing they are covered for life helped me make my decision.

im looking reeeaaally hard at the Springfield. Where did you buy your RIA from?

claricSTi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go take a peak at both and see what you think. For me the RIA had a tighter and better overall finish than the Springer GI I was looking at. There is about 500 rounds through my RIA tac and I havent had any problems what so ever, I can't say the same for my buddies champion that he just purchased. However, the loaded springfields were amazing and I hope to own something like a range officer someday.

Are you planning to mod the gun? If that's the case the forged frame on the springer my be important.

Also, I have a RIA tactical for sale on the forum right now so they are definitely around the area in the $400 range

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No i dont mod my guns bc im on a student budget. Since this is an expensive hobby that we have I like to put my $ towards new guns and ammo.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
No i dont mod my guns bc im on a student budget. Since this is an expensive hobby that we have I like to put my $ towards new guns and ammo.

I would recommend shooting both a GI type 1911, and a "Custom" type. The GI guns don't have extended safeties, beavertail grip safeties, or better sights, among other things. Personally I prefer having the beavertail at the minimum, and would rather have all of the basic improvements over the GI. Since you said you probably won't be adding modifications, the RIA Tactical has them included for less than the cost it would be for you to add them. And to move to a Springer with them, you're talking $600+ for the loaded series.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Based on opinions of 1911 owners on this forum I, just bought my son a Rock Island tactical full size. They call it parkerized but looks more like matte blue. He get's it Saturday for his 21st birthday. Notice a tiny spot or two that has less than perfect finish but over all looks good for the price. Not too worried about that....we use 'em and a worn finish is common at our place. I have not disassembled, cleaned or shot it yet.......he gets to do all that first time stuff. I could have got it for a few dollars less than I paid but I prefer to support local folks when I can and he didn't make much...I know exactly what he paid for the gun and shipping.
The thing is tight! The word is.....shoot a couple hundred rounds to break it in. When I can I'll snap a pic and give a little range report. Many thanks to Best Pawn in Stillwater for the help! BTW....that's aarondgraham's evil pawn shop guy. You'll not meet a nicer guy.

Off to Wally World for ammo.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Based on opinions of 1911 owners on this forum I, just bought my son a Rock Island tactical full size. They call it parkerized but looks more like matte blue. He get's it Saturday for his 21st birthday. Notice a tiny spot or two that has less than perfect finish but over all looks good for the price. Not too worried about that....we use 'em and a worn finish is common at our place. I have not disassembled, cleaned or shot it yet.......he gets to do all that first time stuff. I could have got it for a few dollars less than I paid but I prefer to support local folks when I can and he didn't make much...I know exactly what he paid for the gun and shipping.
The thing is tight! The word is.....shoot a couple hundred rounds to break it in. When I can I'll snap a pic and give a little range report. Many thanks to Best Pawn in Stillwater for the help! BTW....that's aarondgraham's evil pawn shop guy. You'll not meet a nicer guy.

Off to Wally World for ammo.

Congrats on the purchase, and on giving your son a gun for his 21st.

I've dealt with the Evil Pawn Shop Guy before, on multiple occasions when I lived up there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom