All around Okie cartridge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
308 Win would be my choice. I would love to have a semi auto 308. Say something like the Remg 7400 with a nice scope and a few extended mag for just in case.
What you are thinking is exactly what factored into my decision. I have a Springfield Waypoint doped for long range and a Remington R-25 with plenty of 20 rd mags. Those would be my ride or die rifles.

Head Mule

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed and have dined on many a meal acquired with your choices. But the question was "one " all around caliber. Given that, I chose the 06, as it has the most possibilities of loads. From squirrel to elk. And I agree that the shotgun would be even a better choice for all around. Although I love a 20, I would opt for a 12, as it would give a advantage overall.
One thing about an 06 on a squirrel or rabbit, you wouldn't have to clean it or cook it afterwards. Lol. That was one of the things I liked about this post. I enjoy getting a wide variety of answers. Admittedly, my choices would be seriously underpowered for hogs and bear( except possibly a 20 ga slug). A question like this opens so many possibilities and really from what I've seen so far, no wrong answers. Can definitely appreciate the fact of various loads for several larger calibers.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing about an 06 on a squirrel or rabbit, you wouldn't have to clean it or cook it afterwards. Lol. That was one of the things I liked about this post. I enjoy getting a wide variety of answers. Admittedly, my choices would be seriously underpowered for hogs and bear( except possibly a 20 ga slug). A question like this opens so many possibilities and really from what I've seen so far, no wrong answers. Can definitely appreciate the fact of various loads for several larger calibers.
I was taught to only shoot a squirrel in the head and always did so caliber doesnt matter lol

SBSATS

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lol, I can understand the misconception about a 06 on a squirrel. But I have taken many, 2 different ways with a 06. One is with the little 100 gr half jacket or cast at about 600 fps. And another with concussion by shooting the limb right under them.. believe it or not, lol.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m going to dare to be different and go with 300 Savage. It can be loaded with light bullets and serve as a varmint rifle, and can handle 180s to serve for bear and elk. Pair it with a Savage 99 and you’ll be hard pressed to find a more classic hunting rifle.
The .300 savage has almost identical ballistics as the .308. If I read correctly, the .308 was developed long after the .300 when the .300 savage was being considered for military service. I've always wondered why a new cartridge was designed to compete against a proven older cartridge that mirror the almost identical ballistics.
Patent violations or did someone's brother-in-law get a heads-up to design the .308 so it could be chosen? Tin foil hat off now, but always wondered why that happened.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.30-06 or .308 is the closest thing to a do it all cartridge, just on basis of bullet availability and weight range. The .270 doesn't have the range in bullet weights.
.30 cal bullets from 100 -220 gr, in lead, SP, HP and solids.
.270 has 130, 140 and 150 gr.

Love my .260 and it has more bullet selection than .270. But .30-06 is king
Closest contender would be 7 Rem Mag

Latest posts

Top Bottom