All around Okie cartridge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clackamas Jack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is the ultimate okie rifle cartridge if you only had one to do all within the state. Personally I would think the 270 Win would be my choice from varmints to elk in Oklahoma. .270 Win is easy to get and fairly affordable. My second choice may be the 25-06 but may be a little light for the Elk here and black bear. What do you think?

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My old standby elk rifle, Browning Stainless Stalker in 30-06 has taken 10 elk, and will take anything on the North American Continent as well as lots of African game.
Used it to shoot everything from coyotes, to deer and elk.
Dang dennishoddy, we think alike cause I have the same rifle, I’ve just never had the opportunity to take an elk though.

Another vote for the 30-06.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 30-06 is as close to an all-around cartridge as has ever been made.
Especially as a handloader, as one can load from 125 grain at varmint velocities to 220+ grain bullets to handle whatever is being hunted.
My first center-fire rifle was a Savage 114 in 30-06, purchased back in the early 1990s. I still have it, but plan to send it off for threading - if I don't rebarrel it to 6.5x55 Swede.

That being said, I don't think one would be handicapped with a 270 or even a 308.

Latest posts

Top Bottom