Any advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went through this situation several years ago when I was an officer. I got a call from a custodial Dad who lived in Oklahoma. The mother had custody for visitation during the summer. During that time, she left Oklahoma and moved to Louisiana without consent to take the child with her from the Dad.

As I said earlier, this is a civil matter. It's non-custodial child stealing and not kidnapping. And, even though the child and non-custodial parent has crossed state lines, the Feds will not get involved and the PD has no authority to take custody of the child till a court order and entry into NCIC is issued.

A relative of the mother called the dad and let him know where the child was cause she didn't feel that the child should be in her custody either. At this point, the dad contacted his attorney who rushed the paperwork for contempt of court and an order to return the child through the court. Once this order was issued, an entry into NCIC was made which gave the PD in Louisiana the authority to take the child into protective custody.

The child was found with the assistance of the lady who called the Dad and was taken into custody and put into temporary foster care till the Dad arrived in Louisiana with a copy of the court order.

Latest posts

Top Bottom