Any LONG-RANGE shooters here???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The reason for this post is that I'm looking for someone who has the same shooting skill and would like to have someone else to shoot with...

Let me know if there are any long-range shooters out there that would be interested in getting together....

No need to invent anything - it's called F-Class. There are dozens of "long range" shooters getting together every month at OKCGC and Red Castle. I put long range in quotes, since we are shooting only 600 yards and NRA calls it mid-range.

You already said, rifles are dialed in at 600 and I've seen you post some 1" groups - and all you have to do is hit 6" circle. Soda can is only 2.5" wide and the X-ring is 3" - cakewalk all day long! The world record is still only 200-18x, so there is room for improvement.

I've asked you before about competing and said you don't - as they say in Formula1 "when the flag drops, the bullsh!t stops."

Hope to see you there!

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not inventing or reinventing anything. I have been to several F-Class shooting competitions and I have no interest in it. I am not a competitive shooter, never have been and never will be....

distantfoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also enjoy shooting long range, both competitively and hunting. To date my longest kill is 890 yards on a whitetail doe, with dozens of kills over 600 with no loses and all 1 shot kills. Currently running a 338 edge as my primary hunting rig.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also enjoy shooting long range, both competitively and hunting. To date my longest kill is 890 yards on a whitetail doe, with dozens of kills over 600 with no loses and all 1 shot kills. Currently running a 338 edge as my primary hunting rig.

Very nice shooting! What bullet are you using for deer an long-range?

I had thought about building a 338 Edge or going with a 30-378 or 338-378 but, for shooting deer that weigh no more than 200 lbs. on the hoof, I see no reason to subject my self to that much recoil! I guess I'm getting soft in my old age....

distantfoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Runing 300gr SMKs at 2835fps. I tried the 300gr bergers but couldn't get them to shoot. The edge was a good choice for myself as I've never heard of anyone not able to get them to shoot. That says a lot when you're spending big $$ to build one.

I've ran several 7mm's and a couple 300's, but with the BC of the 338 bullets it's hard to overlook. Never cared much about the energy, just wind drift numbers. Although it's been hard on a couple of elk.

oden_sparks

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No need to invent anything - it's called F-Class. There are dozens of "long range" shooters getting together every month at OKCGC and Red Castle. I put long range in quotes, since we are shooting only 600 yards and NRA calls it mid-range.

You already said, rifles are dialed in at 600 and I've seen you post some 1" groups - and all you have to do is hit 6" circle. Soda can is only 2.5" wide and the X-ring is 3" - cakewalk all day long! The world record is still only 200-18x, so there is room for improvement.

I've asked you before about competing and said you don't - as they say in Formula1 "when the flag drops, t

Hope to see you there!

Shooting stationary targets and moving animals are worlds apart brother. Not even close to the same thing; otherwise, every "competition" shooter in Oklahoma would be on the same level as our best snipers. Take guys out of their comfort zone and off their bench and bags and it changes things. Also, manipulating a 30 inch heavy barrel in hunting situations isn't as easy. When I was in the Corps I could put 10 rounds in the chest of a body target at 500 yards with an M16 shooting open sights. Now, there's no way I would have had that success hunting animals. I always think it's comical when people start bragging over targets they shoot at long range and give me grief for missing a critter at 100 yards! I coyote running full speed at 300 yards through cover is hard. Just my opinion but when you throw game into the mix its a different world. That's why the best archers in the world miss 20 yard shots. Guys who arre great rifle shots miss bucks at 100 yards.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I kinda thought that Sierra bullet might be the one you was shooting, but I had to ask anyways...

One of the ballisticians at Sierra Bullets sent me 300 of those bullets before they were ever released to the public. I shot them in a 340 Weatherby Magnum that I was just about finished building, and in fact, I rethroated the barrel specifically for those bullets. Their 600 and 1,000 yd. accuracy was superb! So much so that this same 340 Weatherby was the first rifle I took overseas for "Sniper Duty" way back when....

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Except for bird hunting or the occasional squirrel or rabbit, I don't shoot anything off hand. Years ago yes, but not any more. That's why I build my rifles big and heavy - so they sit on the bench nice and solid....

distantfoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shooting stationary targets and moving animals are worlds apart brother. Not even close to the same thing; otherwise, every "competition" shooter in Oklahoma would be on the same level as our best snipers. Take guys out of their comfort zone and off their bench and bags and it changes things. Also, manipulating a 30 inch heavy barrel in hunting situations isn't as easy. When I was in the Corps I could put 10 rounds in the chest of a body target at 500 yards with an M16 shooting open sights. Now, there's no way I would have had that success hunting animals. I always think it's comical when people start bragging over targets they shoot at long range and give me grief for missing a critter at 100 yards! I coyote running full speed at 300 yards through cover is hard. Just my opinion but when you throw game into the mix its a different world. That's why the best archers in the world miss 20 yard shots. Guys who arre great rifle shots miss bucks at 100 yards.

THere's getting to be a lot of "tactical" longrange style matches in this area including Western Oklahoma. A lot of positional stages/timed stages starting to show up. Matter of fact there's a match in the morning yet only to 550 yards. My guess, rear bags can be left in the truck and shooting sticks come out.

This type of shooting has really helped with my confidence in hunting situations here in Oklahoma. As for the elk hunting I"ve done, laying prone or shooting off a rock is doable.

Latest posts

Top Bottom