Any LONG-RANGE shooters here???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oden_sparks

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of any shooting. It builds confidence and hones your skill. I myself love shooting long range whenever I can. I just don't think that because people hit a stationary target at long range that it's the same as successfully taking a deer at that distance. And I definitely don't think it's "cakewalk."

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
THere's getting to be a lot of "tactical" longrange style matches in this area including Western Oklahoma. A lot of positional stages/timed stages starting to show up. Matter of fact there's a match in the morning yet only to 550 yards. My guess, rear bags can be left in the truck and shooting sticks come out.

This type of shooting has really helped with my confidence in hunting situations here in Oklahoma. As for the elk hunting I"ve done, laying prone or shooting off a rock is doable.

Other than F/TR shooting, I haven't been able to find any way to shoot past 300 in the Tulsa NE Ok area.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Other than F/TR shooting, I haven't been able to find any way to shoot past 300 in the Tulsa NE Ok area.

Contact some of the farmers and ranchers in the area. Do what I did. Drive around the country-side and when you spot a likely looking spot, usually on a clean fence row, you can often find a place to shoot from 400-500 yds. and sometimes further - much further. Drive around the property till you find someone to ask for permission to shoot on their property. I have shooting places that well exceed 1,000 yds. and while I'm on the property, I am personally responsible for any and all bullets fired from my gun! If a cow gets shot - I'm responsible! If a bullets goes through a building - I'm responsible! I make no bones about it. I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR EVERYTHING SHOT WHILE I'M SOMEONE ELSE'S PROPERTY! NO exceptions - PERIOD! Granted, on most of these places, there are only a couple of days a month I can shoot, because crown are being taken off one section of land and moved to another. This gives me time to set up different shooting lanes but, I only shoot from "1" designated spot. This allows me time to study the background BEHIND each area I will be shooting. I've been shooting high powered rifles for over 40 years and I've NEVER had an accident and I don't plan on starting now...

Last year, I found a new spot to shoot when a rancher pulled up behind my truck, while I was set up in the back looking through my spotting scope at a sizable herd of deer. His first response was WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING! I'm climbed out the back of my truck, got in his face and very politely said - Sir, I'm watching a herd of deer on the backside of this property, next to the woods. He told me that, that was his property and deer have been hanging around "that area" for over 10 years and nobody can get close enough to shoot one. Hmmmmm, my little light bulb went off and I proceeded to range those deer and found them to be 962 yds. from the road. I asked the rancher if he would allow me to shoot one of those deer come deer season. He looked at me like I was crazy and I asked for permission to park my truck on the inside of the fence on his property. He cut me short and said that was too far to "walk" to just spook off those deer. I said I had no intention to walk to those deer, except for picking up the one I would shoot. I told him I would shoot the deer from here, pointing to the other side of his fence. He told me was an impossible shot and no one could pull it off. I said we'll then, when deer season rolls around, if you will let me shoot one of those deer, I'll give you a hundred dollar bill for a trespass fee and if I miss, I'll give you three hundred dollars for wasting your time and you won't never see me again. Deer season came and went, I was witnessed killing a buck at a lasered 986 yds. and I have a new place to shoot deer....

Last edited:

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
David,

What powder are you using in your stw ? I shoot a couple and was wondering. One of mine shoots best with h1000 the other with retumbo. One with Barnes ttsx 140 and the other with 160 grainers. And essentially you turn your actions into 40x style target actions ? It sounds like you have some knowledge I need to learn from. I don't have the time to practice much to 1k and beyond but 6-7 is doable for practice I'm currently not comfortable shooting past 550 at game. Much past that and it seems my rifles open up too much or my technique is bad or a combination of the two. Ill attach a couple of pics of some does I head shot at 310 and 255. Both shot with my pet .220 swift one was broadside feeding the other facing me. Also what brand of barrels are you using on your rifles. Both my swift and one of my stw's are getting close to needing new barrels. And nice shooting on the diller.

Attachments

• image-3959115033.jpg
    image-3959115033.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 183
  • image-3220921082.jpg
    image-3220921082.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 191

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
David,

What powder are you using in your stw ? I shoot a couple and was wondering. One of mine shoots best with h1000 the other with retumbo. One with Barnes ttsx 140 and the other with 160 grainers. And essentially you turn your actions into 40x style target actions ? It sounds like you have some knowledge I need to learn from. I don't have the time to practice much to 1k and beyond but 6-7 is doable for practice I'm currently not comfortable shooting past 550 at game. Much past that and it seems my rifles open up too much or my technique is bad or a combination of the two. Ill attach a couple of pics of some does I head shot at 310 and 255. Both shot with my pet .220 swift one was broadside feeding the other facing me. Also what brand of barrels are you using on your rifles. Both my swift and one of my stw's are getting close to needing new barrels. And nice shooting on the diller.

7stw,

I have always gotten my best velocity and accuracy using IMR-7828 powder. For primers, some guns prefer Federal 215 Gold Medal Magnum Match and others Winchester LRM. My most consistently accurate bullet is Sierra's 160 gr. B.T.-Spitzer, followed by Sierra's 150 gr. B.T.-Spitzer. Both bullets will stay inside 2" at 600 yds. if I do my part...

I bed a Bench Rest follower in the bottom of the Remington action to make it a single shot...

I was a Military and Police Firearms Training Instructor for 12 years and had to give it up when I got slammed with arthritis and I could no longer do what was required to properly train but, on ocassion, I still teach the fundamentals of shooting at long-range and extreme-ranges. I am always willing to share my knowledge with others...

Very nice shooting on your head shot deer...

I use a lot of Dan Lilja's barrels as well as Hart, Pac-Nor, Krieger, Shilen, Bartlein and a few others...

Thank you on the Diller. I have to say though, that that was a very lucky shot! I say that, because armadillos very seldom stay put in one spot for more than a second or two and I just settled the cross hairs in the middle of it, touched the trigger and the rest as they say - is history...

Do you have a drop chart made for your long-range guns? Do you have a range finder? These two items are a must have for being able to hit your target at any range further than what the gun is actually sighted in at. Mine stay sighted in at 600 yds. and then my drop tables are in 50 yd. increments out to as far as I can "accurately" hit my targets. If you do not have a drop table and you have a place to where you can shoot long range, I can give you simple instructions of making your own drop table. Just let me know....

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was a Military and Police Firearms Training Instructor for 12 years and had to give it up when I got slammed with arthritis and I could no longer do what was required to properly train but, on ocassion, I still teach the fundamentals of shooting at long-range and extreme-ranges. I am always willing to share my knowledge with others...

Do you teach as in hold a class, or just teach friends? I would love to spend a day just getting some fundamentals down.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yall know you got some real pros talking about long range shooting, when wind is mentioned ONCE in a 5-page thread :thumbup3:

What's more important at 1000 yards - a 50 yard range or a 5 mph wind call? Let me give you a hint - either one will keep you right off deer-sized target; and you can't "laser" the wind.

Latest posts

Top Bottom