Anyone else have a SHTF Bag or Bug Out Bag?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyydiver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sorry but am I the only one on this board that sees absolutely no use in a BOB? I mean, are there that many people that think the .gov is going to collapse and they're going to be Denzel from Book of Eli?

P.S. I can't help but noticing in many posts on this forum (just like any other internet forum) that people seem to love stretching the truth a bit. "I have this and that and the other". I'm willing to bet when it comes down to the last day of the Mayan calendar and we're all out and about in the apocolypse, we'll see a lot of folks in person and they won't be carrying all of those amazing weapons or driving those amazing vehicles or holed up at their amazing bug out headquarters that we read so much about on OSA.

I've now officially opened myself up to flaming.... so start now.

Hmm. When a wildfire came a little too close without 10 minutes notice (we hadn't been home), having enough snacks, clothes, drinks, entertainment, shelter and yes, protection, in one place to grab and know we'd get by for a day or two was priceless. I'm not sure that the gov had to collapse to make the BOB worth it that day. But that's just first hand experience. Probably not worth much.

sixseven

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmm. When a wildfire came a little too close without 10 minutes notice (we hadn't been home), having enough snacks, clothes, drinks, entertainment, shelter and yes, protection, in one place to grab and know we'd get by for a day or two was priceless. I'm not sure that the gov had to collapse to make the BOB worth it that day. But that's just first hand experience. Probably not worth much.

No i can totally understand that when it comes to every day necessities, i guess i should have clarified. I personally don't see the need for shortwave radios, water purification, ammo, guns (other than my conceal carry piece), MREs and the like. The flask of whiskey is perfectly understandable as well :)

okprepper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
you need maps and routes also because if SHTF imagine all the pple in the okc area trying to go somewhere at once and not just civilized people im thinking about Gang members ,druggies , thieves , tough guys , hungry pple , prisoners when the power and sewage goes down pple will be pissed and mad even and especially the pple who never thought of being prepared and not having alternate sources of food shelter water ..think about all the things that would be going on.. also no communication aka cell phones just packfor basic survival

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't forget diapers/pull-ups and wipes for the kiddos! Seriously… That is the only item I’ve actually used so far from my B.O.B. I pray it stays that way.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
We're in the process of getting our bags together. I've got enough ammo and guns now to fight a small war (in the neighborhood, anyways), and we've had our tornado bucket together for some time. Dried foods, canned soups, etc. Some first aid supplies and plenty of clothes both warm and cold.

We just bought 4 alice packs to pack it all into. Up till now most of it's been in a couple of large Tupperware containers in our interior closet. Transferring to Alice packs makes it a lot more portable, and frees those Tupperware containers to be used for more food/clothes for an more extended period away, should we have the grace to have time to drag it all into the truck.

But the Alice packs are a grab-and-go in 30 seconds kind of prep item.

Lately we've been planning our backwoods retreat, and that is going to be on the to-do list in the next year or two.

Do I anticipate a whole Book of Eli/Red Dawn kind of scenario? I dunno... I hope not. But I do believe from my extensive experience with what some would call the dregs of society that if a major event happens (EMP/solar flare, monetary system collapse, sudden major change in government, etc.) all hell is liable to break loose in many areas of society, with door-to-door looting and crime skyrocketing. Seeing what happened in downtown London last year with just a very small segment of their society and the police force's inability to restrain large crowds of hooligans certainly woke me up.

My plan is to rotate this stock of foodstuffs and meds to keep it relatively fresh.

I hope it never happens, but I'd rather be prepared if it does. I don't think I'll feel foolish about it on my deathbed for having an emergency-preparedness kit... unless my deathbed comes early as a result of not having one. :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom