Ar problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cmcmill

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what should I check mesurements on the casing neck or the casing it's self? Sorry for all the noob questions just trying to learn some stuff about the gun. Thanks for the help guys it's appreciated.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Previously owned rifle (said the rifle came from slide fire?)...lack of staking on receiver extension nut...rounds hanging up on feed ramps...having to remove buffer tube to seat BCG.

Like UMB said, if you can fit the rounds in the magazine, they can't be that long can they?
It should be easy to eliminate the reloads from the equation. Run some factory ammo through it and see what happens.

What are the chances that the previous owner had the same problem and had to remove the tube at some point?
What are the chances it's not 100% Colt?
What are the chances that there is a mismatch in the barrel extension/receiver ramp configuration causing a hang up?

Hmmm....keep working on it, we'll get it figured out!

Cmcmill

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Factory ammo ran threw it fine shot 80rds of Winchester,Tulla and Independence not one hiccup. I'm almost 100% sure it's the reloads. The weekend I bought it when the slidefire was still on it I ran 600 rds of all different brands of factory ammo not one problem. I purchased the gun from a good friend so I know it's history he had only shot around 1000 rds before I bought it not one problem.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what you are describing i would agree that the reloads are the problem. I am fairly certain that the issue with the reloads is that the case was either not full length resized, or the resizing die was not properly set up.

Until those rounds can be checked/gauged i would set them aside.
If you want to do a quick and dirty check try and drop them into your chamber. There shouldnt be any resistance, in or out. In fact a correctly sized case may have a small bit of play or looseness to it. This isnt something i would generally recommend to verify a good case, but it will definitely tell you if the case is oversized.

The case trim length is supposed to be 1.75 inches, but i dont think that is your problem, but it could be a small part of it in conjunction with the sizing problem.

Cmcmill

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've tried to just drop them in the slide into the chamber fine but they don't come out very easily. I usually have to take a little plastic pry bar I have to eject it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only happened with the reloads none of the store bought stuff did it.

I've been down this road. Take your FL sizing die down another 1/8 turn, and try it again. Have you changed projectiles? The newest bullets may seat different from older bullets, as the manufacturers have changed designs.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

That is solid advice.

I've been down this road. Take your FL sizing die down another 1/8 turn, and try it again. Have you changed projectiles? The newest bullets may seat different from older bullets, as the manufacturers have changed designs.

Im getting the impression that the op did not load these rounds. Am i correct about this cmc?

Latest posts

Top Bottom