Armadillo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't tell you for certain what is digging your holes, but I bet there are badgers in south Cleveland county.
Hmm, I didn't realize that badgers ranged around here, but it looks like the American badger's range covers most of North America. It's entirely possible that it's badgers rather than dillers--the holes are generally out in the middle of the field, and usually near gopher mounds. (I could live without the gophers, too--their mounds are hard on the mower's blades.) Some of the holes are, I'm fairly certain, dug by coyotes or some other form of canine trying to get at what's already dug the hole. I might have to invest in a cheap game camera to see what's doing what...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some of the holes are, I'm fairly certain, dug by coyotes or some other form of canine trying to get at what's already dug the hole. I might have to invest in a cheap game camera to see what's doing what...

Probably hit the nail on the head. ^^^^

We have gophers in the yard. My brittney either smell them, or hears them digging, and proceeds to dig them out. With our sandy ground she can get down to the tunnel pretty quick.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably hit the nail on the head. ^^^^

We have gophers in the yard. My brittney either smell them, or hears them digging, and proceeds to dig them out. With our sandy ground she can get down to the tunnel pretty quick.
This is actually a field of (mostly) Midland-99 Bermudagrass; it has a dense root system that can go down to 12ft (OSU and MU developed it for this part of the country, so it's fairly drought-resistant), so the only "soft" areas are where the gophers have been. The ones where I'm thinking the coyotes have been are fairly round with narrow dig marks on one side; most of them a fairly round, with the main hole being seven inches or so in diameter, going down at a fairly shallow angle, maybe 30 degrees (with the surface being 0 degrees). There's also not a lot of dirt scattered around like a canine had been digging (other than at those narrow dig marks), which is why I'm thinking it's a burrowing animal like a badger or diller.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is what small and fast will do at long-range. Sierra's 85 gr. B.T.-H.P. Game King bullet at 3,800 fps. from a full custom 240 Weatherby Magnum...
i193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_006_12.jpg

i193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_002_18.jpg

With the muzzle brake on this gun, I got to watch the "red mist" through the scope - up close and personal....

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We used to chase dillies and catch them by the tail for fun...
On badgers, they range all of Oklahoma, we dug a baby out of a den and kept it as a pet while growing up. It eventually wandered off once he grew up,
had a nasty temper tho lol..

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We used to chase dillies and catch them by the tail for fun...
On badgers, they range all of Oklahoma, we dug a baby out of a den and kept it as a pet while growing up. It eventually wandered off once he grew up,
had a nasty temper tho lol..

Nasty temper no doubt!
I was plowing for my uncle many years ago, and rolled one out of a terrace den. I got off the tractor thinking it was dead, and wanted to look at it.

Just stunned, and when it woke up, It was really angry. I could see with his speed, and my running ability, that he was going to get to me before getting back to the tractor, so I ripped off my belt that had a big buckle on it and whacked it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom