best Tulsa BBQ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncivil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you know I smoe my own and compete in KCBS with a BBQ team. I will have to give some luv to Billy Sims and Elmers. Heck come out this weekend to the art of BBQ at one ok field. Get ya a taster kit. Look for the big white trailer with the Stonemen Granite banner on the side. We will be doing peoples choice vote for us!!!

Bruno2

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
BBQ nut here.... forget all those others
hands down best ribs in the area is Hickory House in Sapulpa.

Big thumbs down. Dont even waste your time. Any of the chains can blow this one out of the water, Okla style is pretty good . They got a write up in the wall st journal. Take your ccw with you its in a pretty rough part of town. I havent had Big daddies. There used to be a place right across the street from it that was really good. We unfortunately dont have any good BBQ in town anymore. Elmers is OK. Albert G's is alright , but , neither are outstanding. There is certainly a market for it in our City. Someone needs to rise to the call and open a place up. Stone Mill isnt too bad , but , its expensive and the owner is a real asshat. They have the worst service out of any restraunt in the Tulsa/BA area. If bad service gives you the red as$ then dont go there or you will leave fuming mad.

I vacation in FL. every other yr. We drive when we go. The best part of the trip is going through Cities like Memphis and B-ham. These cities have the best bbq in the country. I look forward to eating bbq more than laying around at Cocoa beach.:sunbath:

Oh, yeah if you go to Billy rays get the catfish his bbq sucks and always has.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As stated, everyone has their own opinion on BBQ.

I started thinking, how do you rate your BBQ?

I see alot of folks raving about the sides, for me there are 2 sides with BBQ, beans, or slaw. I have been to at least one where they had seasoned fries and they were really good also.

But back on topic, so when you rate your Q how do you do it?

There are 3 meats I mainly go after for Q, Brisket(sliced always), Ribs, and Pulled pork.

The meat is the first thing I rate.

Sauce is next, a good base sauce, and then a spicy sauce, and sometimes an over the top spicy sauce. I have one favorite place that has 6 sauces on the table, lets you take a real tour of the different types.

How many of you have slaw on your sandwiches?

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
huh... when did you eat there? and how often?
I've never gotten a bad plate of BBQ there, but you must have.

NO way any chain BBQ place, I've been to are anywhere close to Hickory House's sides. their buffet with sides includes: tabouli, olives, boiled eggs, green salad, potato salad, home fries, smoked BBQ bologna, boneless chicken breast, Ribs, pulled pork, pudding, home made rolls, smoked chicken quarters and loads of other stuff I'm forgetting.

Hickory House has consistently the best quality spread... have NEVER gotten anything bad there out of many ... many visits there. their Ribs are the best!

have been to most of the BBQ places in the Tulsa area, but have never tried Okla Style. rarely go to that area.

so far Hickory House BBQ hands down have been consistently been the best of all the BBQ places I've personally tried.

by the way.... cooking BBQ is a passion ... just cooked for 40 last weekend for our scout troop. menu: smoked pork tenderloin on natural lump charcoal, grilled salmon, baked potato, boneless chicken breast and beef franks for the kids. all cooked on the little stainless Hasty bake below.

here's few of my smoking rigs

Stainless Hasty Bake and Oklahoma Joe smoker

[Broken External Image]

Brisket smoked with pecan to perfection... no cover... aprox 11 hours

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_smoker16.JPG

Outlaw Custom Smoker made in Nowata, OK

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Big thumbs down. Dont even waste your time. Any of the chains can blow this one out of the water, Okla style is pretty good . They got a write up in the wall st journal. Take your ccw with you its in a pretty rough part of town. I havent had Big daddies. There used to be a place right across the street from it that was really good. We unfortunately dont have any good BBQ in town anymore. Elmers is OK. Albert G's is alright , but , neither are outstanding. There is certainly a market for it in our City. Someone needs to rise to the call and open a place up. Stone Mill isnt too bad , but , its expensive and the owner is a real asshat. They have the worst service out of any restraunt in the Tulsa/BA area. If bad service gives you the red as$ then dont go there or you will leave fuming mad.

I vacation in FL. every other yr. We drive when we go. The best part of the trip is going through Cities like Memphis and B-ham. These cities have the best bbq in the country. I look forward to eating bbq more than laying around at Cocoa beach.:sunbath:

Oh, yeah if you go to Billy rays get the catfish his bbq sucks and always has.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Long drive I know, but this place has some of the best BBQ I've ever had. Badlands Smokehouse in Ft Gibson. Google says an hour drive from the Tulsa Airport. Guy I work with is a certified BBQ judge (no, I'm not kidding) and he was impressed. I'll take his word for it; I sure liked it.

Here's a Google Map

Don't put too much faith in that whole certified BBQ judge thing, I'm a KCBS certified judge myself, it doesn't take much to get certified.

Latest posts

Top Bottom