Black Talon 9mm ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not familiar with the KTW rounds but the black talon also had that dubious title.
The KTW rounds were the "Teflon coated" rounds that were supposed to be able to pierce body armor. They were dubbed "cop killer" billets because of that "armor piercing" capability, and that little bit of hysteria led to a spate of states outlawing "Teflon-coated" bullets.

Can't say I ever heard "cop killer" applied to Black Talons before yesterday.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now that I've watched part of the video, I think he's conflating the Black Talons and the KTW rounds. Back in the day, I never heard anyone refer to the Black Talons as "armor piercing," as anyone with enough neurons to form a synapse knows that JHP pistol rounds aren't even close to being AP...

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IIRC, the issue with Talons back in the day was that they were designed to break into jagged/hooked pieces on impact, thereby creating massive damage to the recipient.

Apparently "the powers that be" decided we needed a more kind and gentle way to kill folks with firearms.
:drunk2:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now that I've watched part of the video, I think he's conflating the Black Talons and the KTW rounds. Back in the day, I never heard anyone refer to the Black Talons as "armor piercing," as anyone with enough neurons to form a synapse knows that JHP pistol rounds aren't even close to being AP...

I found this on Wiki:
The Black Talon handgun bullet is a jacketed hollow-point bullet with perforations designed to expose sharp edges upon expansion.[2] The bullet included a Lubalox coating, a proprietary oxide process.[3] Though widely misreported to be Teflon, molybdenum disulfide, or wax, the ammo has an unusual black appearance compared to other copper-jacketed or lead bullets. The black appearance was due to the oxidized copper jacket. This Lubalox coating was to protect the barrel rifling, and did not give the bullet armor-piercing capabilities. This coating is still widely used on many of Winchester's rifle bullets today.[4]

The bullet was designed in 1991 under the supervision of Alan Corzine, who at that time was VP of research and development for Winchester.[5] The round quickly developed a reputation as a very effective expanding bullet. The alleged armor-piercing (AP) notion is urban legend, and was a result of media hyperbole (perhaps confusing "Talon" with the "Teflon" that coated KTW AP bullets)

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IIRC, the issue with Talons back in the day was that they were designed to break into jagged/hooked pieces on impact, thereby creating massive damage to the recipient.

Apparently "the powers that be" decided we needed a more kind and gentle way to kill folks with firearms.
:drunk2:
Eh, some doctors whined about possibly cutting their fingers on the talons while probing the wounds. A doctor I knew at the time said that any doctor who probed a gunshot wound with his finger was an idiot and deserved what he got.

Aturp00

New to the site!
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom