Black Talon 9mm ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have not read all this thread but wasn't the black coating what really caused the big stink?
It was designed to lubricate the bullet to promote penetration of body armor. Yikes.
The big stink on BTs was the “talons” that were exposed when the jacket opened up; Winchester’s marketing made a big deal about them. The BTs were withdrawn from the market and subsequently re-released without the “talons,” retaining the black coating, which was primarily cosmetic.

What you’re thinking of are the KTW rounds (dubbed “cop killer bullets” by pearl-clutching screaming ninnies). Those were, in fact, designed to defeat soft body armor. The projectiles were a bore-riding design because they were significantly harder than the steel of most barrels—the Teflon shell around the projectile was there to engage the rifling without damaging it. IIRC, the projectiles themselves were tungsten, or maybe tungsten carbide.

The myth part was when people started talking about spraying Teflon on bullets to make them armor-piercing. That’s pure nonsense, but it still led lawmakers to start pooping their pants and outlawing Teflon-coated bullets.

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
20230601_210439.jpg

Had this mag in my BHP for almost 30 years.

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The original “cop killer” I remember were Teflon coated. I believe they were developed for the fbi to shoot through Kevlar. There was talk of passing legislation that made owning the component , not even in a cartridge , a crazy big fine. The only place I ever saw these were inside the gun show loophole.
You are correct. Look up KTW bullets for more info.

ramco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The original KTW ammunition was developed by three police officers whose names began with K, T and W to give police officers the ability to maybe crack an engine block or water jacket on a suspect car at a roadblock. Not all officers carry shotguns. They were never made available to the public. We had a box of .357 KTW rounds in our ammo collection in the police dept firearms lab.
50 round box, $70.00. In the 1970s. The bullet was solid bronze and coated in green Teflon. They were available in other calibers too, .30 Carbine, .30-06 and .308.
No police officer ever had his vest penetrated by a KTW round. It was all hype to split police officers from the NRA. The NRA actually wrote the armor piercing law that prevented nearly every hunting bullet you ever heard of from being banned. The law only applies to handgun ammunition and limits the amount of metals other than lead that can be in the projectile.

ifishok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember seeing a .357 magnum round with a sharp pointed steel bullet once at a gun show, may have been a +p round too. I think those were once called “the cop killer bullet” also.

Latest posts

Top Bottom