Black Talon 9mm ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aturp00

New to the site!
Reaction score
Found this box at a garage sale. Cant talk myself into using them for carry, but dont wanna just shoot 'em up, either. Kinda cool to have I guess.

View attachment 126361 View attachment 126362
Don’t know if you’ll see this since the post is so old but I’m trying to hunt down some boxes of black talon and I’d be happy to buy it off you if you’d sell it

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The famous "cop killer" bullet.
The original “cop killer” I remember were Teflon coated. I believe they were developed for the fbi to shoot through Kevlar. There was talk of passing legislation that made owning the component , not even in a cartridge , a crazy big fine. The only place I ever saw these were inside the gun show loophole.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Winchester ranger SXT = Same Exact Thing as the old joke used to go, but circling back to black talon I bought lots of it back in the day when it was on the shelf still .

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Winchester ranger SXT = Same Exact Thing as the old joke used to go, but circling back to black talon I bought lots of it back in the day when it was on the shelf still .
Yep. Ranger and Black Talon differed in only one minor detail (aside from Rangers being LE-only)—either the Ranger didn’t have the black coated bullets or they had brass cases instead of nickel. (I actually have a magazine loaded with Ranger SXTs, so maybe I’ll look at them…eventually…)

I used to have a few boxes of Black Talons, but I’m not sure where they are now.

I remember when the BTs were the new hotness, then “ER docs” started complaining about possibly maybe cutting their fingers on those inhumane boolits. A doctor I knew at the time said that any doctor who probed a bullet wound with his finger was an idiot and deserved what he got…

mtnboomr

Questionable Character
Special Hen
Reaction score
PMC sells a round they call Starfire. It's supposed to be a Black Talon without the black coating.

Palmetto State Armory sells them in several different calibers.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looked into these and found that the newer PDX1 loads are basically the same as black talons only they don’t look the same. They produce the same “claws” on the bullet. I use federal HST’s. If I were to use another load it would be these.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not read all this thread but wasn't the black coating what really caused the big stink?
It was designed to lubricate the bullet to promote penetration of body armor. Yikes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom