Blackpowder muzzleloader question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To be honest I know nothing about ML but would like to try one. It looks like there are several in the classifieds. Which one do you think would be the best amd why?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted to get into it years ago and my FIL told me do it.
Get a rifle and some Pyrodex and some power belt bullets and primers.

I got a CVA Bobcat from Walmart $58 and went shooting it.
Filed down the brass front sight and it shot amazingly accurate and kicked like Chuck Norris.

Pounded my cheek at the same time.
But stupid accurate.
Killed a few deer with it.
I do like a good inline break over that makes the primer easy to get to.

A bolt gun type is hit or miss as some make it easy to remove primer and insert another one and others it is a beech and requires a tool or knife to pry it out.

I have shot a few different ones and all are accurate within 2MOA and if you really find a sweet spot it will get better than that.
1:48 twist works well with the powerbelt in 50 cal.
As does the 1:28 and the 1:28 shoots the sabot very well.

Son has a CVA Kodiak inline and it is very good never a misfire.
My Bob cat side lock eeehhh it will misfire.
I put a new hammer spring in it and it is better.

Be sure you can find primers for the one you plan on getting.
I prefer an inline with the 209 primer but that Bob Cat has put a lot of meat on the table for cheap.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve killed a boatload of deer with an inline muzzleloaders, and I bought a couple traditional muzzleloaders last year and killed a deer with one of them.

For ease of use, I would recommend an inline with 209 ignition of some flavor for a person new to muzzleloaders.

If you already have a TC Encore, my suggestion is buy a ML barrel for it. They are super easy and accurate.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a super good deal on a 54-cal, turns out that those size bullets are a pain in the neck to find. I'd get a 50 cal, the supplies are everywhere.

And, I'd go with an inline, break open, 209 shotshell primer. And I'd buy a few hundred, primers, at least,500 would be better, to last quite a while.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Traditional sidelock Thompson muzzleloaders are more reliable than any other sidelocks, IMHO. Their coil spring lock is far superior to the old "V" spring that sometimes results in cap not getting ignited.

Inlines are far easier to use, and you can put a scope on them. My wife has one. They are geared to making blackpowder shooting more accessible to females, but tons of "male assigned at birth" persons choose them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom