Bourbon on a College Budget

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I figure that some of you might enjoy this. I've made enough money over the summer to build up a semi-impressive bar, but I feel like I may be plateauing. I think I've reached that middle ground where if I spend any more money, I'll be overspending my budget and getting diminishing returns. If I spend any less, I'll be cutting myself short. To put it bluntly, I have enough alcohol to last me a LONG, LONG time. All of my friends and roommates are about buying cheap alcohol the day of a party. I enjoy a gin and tonic after a day of school and work. I don't really care about getting drunk more than I do unwinding and making my painful joints hurt a little bit less. But on that rare occasion, I also know that some decent tequila will go a lot further than a 24 pack of skunk beer and for the same price.

At this point, in the whiskey department, I have Maker's, Maker's 46, Wild Turkey 101, Seagram's 7 Crown, Seagram's VO Gold, Jameson, Crown Royal De Luxe, Jack Daniels, and Jim Beam Rye. Is there anything that I'm missing out on, preferably bourbon? I've enjoyed Knob Creek before, but haven't gotten a chance to try any of the other Jim Beam small batch bourbons. I'm trying to stick in the $20-$40 range.

While we're at it, if you've got a liquor (or liqueur, I've got a girlfriend) that you think I just have to have, shout it out!

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tequila: Cazadores Resposado... tastes like crap straight, but is AWESOME mixed (as in people who don't normally like strong drinks won't notice when you put in 3x the normal amount...)

Make sure you have some decent scotches. There are many decent 12-years right around $40.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At this point, in the whiskey department, I have Maker's, Maker's 46, Wild Turkey 101, Seagram's 7 Crown, Seagram's VO Gold, Jameson, Crown Royal De Luxe, Jack Daniels, and Jim Beam Rye. Is there anything that I'm missing out on, preferably bourbon? I've enjoyed Knob Creek before, but haven't gotten a chance to try any of the other Jim Beam small batch bourbons. I'm trying to stick in the $20-$40 range.
While we're at it, if you've got a liquor (or liqueur, I've got a girlfriend) that you think I just have to have, shout it out!
As far a liqueur....well, you've gotta' have Grand Marnier on hand.

Also:
-Tuaca
-Barenjager
-Jagermiester
Those are all winners!
Oh, and you might give Yukon Jack a try....it's about the only thing Canadian I can tolerate. :)

You need Absinthe as well......tho' I can't recommend a particular brand with any honest conviction as I simply lack the experience.

Tequila:
Cazadores

Bourbon:

Blanton's...definitely....I mean, you're looking at slightly more than yer $40 budget guideline but it's quite an impressive Bourbon, to be sure!
It's also my personal favorite.
Take a look:
https://www.blantonsbourbon.com/node/143
I have tried all but the "straight from the barrel" offerings and they are absolutely incredible!
Go for the Original single barrel for starters....it's the cheapest one and it's outstanding!
The other offerings are excellent, but pretty much icing on an already beautiful cake, IMO.

I'd ditch the Maker's altogether....but that's just me.
The Wild Turkey Rare Breed is pretty good.

Knob Creek is worthy, as is Bookers, which is another one of the Jim Beam smaller batch offerings.
Honestly I do not like standard Jim Beam, preferring Wild Turkey.

Jack Daniel's...which technically is "Tennessee whiskey" rather than Bourbon is a staple, and I personally prefer it over most true bourbons....Blanton's being the exception.

George Dickel is another "tennessee whiskey" and it's right up there with Jack Daniel's....great stuff!
Regardless of whether you decide to stock it, you still owe it to yourself to give it a try.

A lot of folks love Woodford...and it's good...just not one of my favorites.

Any particular scotch to start on?

There are lots of great Scotches out there and I haven't even scratched the surface of the many offerings....the Glenlivet is typically the budget-minded jumping off point.
However, I would like to mention that while they are generally not preferable to the connoisseur, there is certainly nothing wrong with a blend.....and no bar is complete without yer basic Johnnie Walker black and/or Chivas Regal.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom