Bridge collapse

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldflinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We heard it from the office (NY LIFE Building). the flat bed Semi had something on back, a boom loader or cherry picker or something. That machine hit the bridge and completely slid off the Semi. Luckily it appears no one on May was on the bridge at the time and no one was following too close to the Semi to run into the machine or have the bridge fall on them. Gonna be a long time with traffic disruptions in the area. Can't tell what the machine was exactly because it is still under the bride and in shadows from my view.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It happens a lot more in the northeast where everything was made years ago and they can not really change much with all the houses and treehuggers around. The regular GPS systems have information about roads but not bridge clearance and the drivers are too cheap to buy one that has that information then end up taking out a bridge or destroying their load. That and drivers who take shortcuts and do not properly rig the equipment they are hauling for transport.

Sadly that bridge was in better condition than the one that goes across the tracks in Guthrie (Highway 33). I don't think anything is going to hit it from underneath but many more earthquakes and the train tracks will be out of commision for a few months along with a major traffic snarl with everything routed through the middle of downtown.

http://www.news9.com/category/130770/bridge-tracker

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I work on a lot of big crap that hits bridges all the time. A lot of it has a pilot car! Crap, a lot of it hits bridges/signs on the way to the yard in the same town the trucking company and shop are in. It's always boggled my mind.

Last edited:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The driver of the truck is responsible as long as there was a clearance sign posted. on the bridge. His ins. will have to pay to rebuild it. Hop he had a million dollar coverage policy.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The driver of the truck is responsible as long as there was a clearance sign posted. on the bridge. His ins. will have to pay to rebuild it. Hop he had a million dollar coverage policy.

There is a clearance sign 800' before the bridge and 200' before the exit to NB May. It's not even a low bridge. 14' 4" is above the minimum for even Interstate highways. Pretty sure anything over 13' 6" requires a permit to move.

Latest posts

Top Bottom