Bridge collapse

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a clearance sign 800' before the bridge and 200' before the exit to NB May. It's not even a low bridge. 14' 4" is above the minimum for even Interstate highways. Pretty sure anything over 13' 6" requires a permit to move.
Nope, the new standard height is 16'-9" POSTED on SH and Interstates and they actually build them with at least a few inches over 16-9. I dont know the cities standard height.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope, the new standard height is 16'-9" POSTED on SH and Interstates and they actually build them with at least a few inches over 16-9. I dont know the cities standard height.
But you and I both know that old bridges do not follow that standard. It appears this bridge was 14' from the look of it. After some google-foo on rental companies in OKC, it looks like it was a big manlift with equipment owned by SunBeam. From the pics, it looks like it impacted the steel beam and knocked the deck slab, with beams attached, off of the roller bearing on the pier.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Table 19 doesnt match the wording in the paragraph above it and may have been written by an idiot. lol. We wont build a bridge under 16'9" and have lowered roads under some bridges to provide the needed clearance if the bridge was in good shape. If the bridge is old they will just buld a new on and raise the grade. Its been that way for the 26 years I have worked at ODOT. FAWA wont let us build a bridge over there interstate with less than 16'-9" clearance from shoulder edge to shoulder edge. Just cause its on the internet, doesnt make it so.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But you and I both know that old bridges do not follow that standard. It appears this bridge was 14' from the look of it. After some google-foo on rental companies in OKC, it looks like it was a big manlift with equipment owned by SunBeam. From the pics, it looks like it impacted the steel beam and knocked the deck slab, with beams attached, off of the roller bearing on the pier.
As I stated in my post, THE NEW STANDARD is 16'-9" Any bridge thats 80 years old (as this one likely is) would have been a lower height standard. Why? Look how loads have changed over the years. Old bridges used to all be 24' wide (some were 20') but you wont find one built in the last 30 years less than 32' and most are 40' wide. (2-12' lanes, 2-8' shoulders min.)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's a lot of truckers that would like to see odot fix that 12' 9" underpass in Ponca. There's a semi stuck under there every couple of months even though there are huge lighted signs 1/4 mile before the underpass and one right on it. Typically there isn't even any skid marks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom